1/32 scale Halifax update (sort of)

Cees Broere

It's wrong. The starboard side should be alsmost square if looked at from above, while the port side slopes backwards making it assymmetrical as it should be. Apart from that the starboard side of the main canopy sits lower and has more area than the port side.

Pheww, try explaining that to a Brit being a Dutchman :lol:

If you look at some photographs of Halifaxes you see what I mean. The ID Model Halifax fuselage halves before the aperture for the cockpit was cut out, is correct while the canopy provided was wrong (strange). Thanks to this I can use the excess material I cut out for making a mould for a new canopy (I hope, never crash formed a canopy before).

Cheers

Cees

Guest LSP_Jay L

Hi Cees;

Kieth is definitely right, coat the interior with Acrylic Gloss Varnish before you do anything. This will protect it ( and all of your hard work ) from any mistakes as well as preventing any damage to the paint. I use artists oil paints thinned with white spirits for my washes, and any excess can very easily be removed using cotton buds.

Oh, and I have one of those I.D. Models Hampdens :lol:

Cheers guys,

Jay

Thanks Jay,

With my exams over this afternoon I can now start on the detailing in earnest again. The various tips are exremely helpful for the weathering of the interior.

Jay, any pics of the ID Hampden? Just to show what it looks like?

Cheers

Cees

Mmm, I have been working on the undercarriage legs of the Halifax. As you know these are the messier type and orignally were large magnesium castings. The first attempt is to build the leg from plastic card with an open front and fill this with Milliput (first time I used this). I had a pack for years and it turned out to be the terracotta type. This is very hard to work with (think it's over time as well) but managed to do it in the end with a amount of water. It is now rockhard but difficult to sand.

Should I use Milliput white (fine) and make one master for casting two identical legs? The idea of doing it again doesn't quite appeal to me

Hi

For what its worth here's how I paint interiors.

I use humbrol enamels but since they changed I find that they only dry matt when sprayed. Next comes the Tamiya smoke well thinned with tamiya thinner and a dab of flat base. Never got on with future/klear as yet. It can dry glossy otherwise in little nooks and crannies. This darkens and gives an irregular stain. The effect is worked by wicking off the excess with a paint brush. Let it dry. Next heavy drybrushing or close to wet brushing, if I have overdone the smoke gives the next layer of colour. Once dry a highlight colour is drybrushed. Next wear on walkways is simulated by spaying smoke to just build up a wear path. lastly drybrushed aluminium with a large proportion of brown. Bellow are pics which I hope explain.

Nice to see some progress Cees we just keep going. One day One day. Trying to motivate myself to do the canopy etc but its the bit I hate most. I theory its so simple but can't get it right. Oh well.

Cheers

Phil

21b1.jpg

uytuiuyu.jpg

Absolutely great detail stuff there. Jsut like the real thing. Cees, you need to give your interior a wash and also some drybrushing. Your detail will then stick out and it will look just as great. Go for it.!!

Brian,

Don't worry, there are now many options for me to experiment with. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Phil, I have one point of critisim for your Halifax...........It's too small :lol:

Here is a pic of the undercarriage leg I was rambling on about. I think it worked out very well. The grey colour serves as a primer to blend the various bits and pieces in. If it works to use it as a master then I am one very happy bunny ;)

Cheers

Cees

post-4-1148493539_thumb.jpg

Now that the undercarriage leg is finished I can now start on the next assembly. The bomb door interor. Some very nice people have sent me pics from NA337 and having some original Halifax manuals helps a great deal. The interor of the Halifax bombbay is very complex........ :lol:

Take a deep breath and..

Cheers

Cees

post-4-1148493684_thumb.jpg

Guest LSP_Jay L
Say Jay , is that the Hampden which was lurking in the dark corner of Hannants reject pile ,

the one without the clear parts ? :lol:

;) ;) :lol:

You got it in one mate!! Thats friggin hilarious Kieth!! What were you doing down there anyways, thats supposed to be off limits!! :lol:

Cees, this build is coming along very nicely. I am sure it must be quite the difficult task to keep focused when taking on something of such epic proportions. You are doing a perfect job thus far Cees, keep it up.

Cheers,

Jay

Thanks for the kind comments guys,

It's LSP that got the ball really rolling. Taking every substantial assembly as a project in itself helps keeping it fun. When I get bored about the 1/32 Hally, I can switch to the 1/48 or 1/1 cockpit projects.

Cheers

Cees