1/32 scale Halifax update (sort of)

Cees Broere

Hi Cees,...well not surprisingly i AM Dutch, and sometimes "double dutch" according to some friends..... ;)

anyway, this Halifax is going to be inspiring, very inspiring, are you planning on attending the Euro Scale Modelling 2006 event with this project?

happy "liberation" day, tomorrow.... ;)

J.

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress. This past week I have been going very fast with the flightdeck almost completely rebuilt (again) and painted. Some junction boxes are installed. By glueing wire into the sockets between the boxes I hope to get a nice representation of the complicated wiring looms.

post-4-1147459894_thumb.jpg

And finally the beam aproach equipment at the back of the pilot's bulkhead (the bluegrey give it a bit more colour other than just cockpit green and black.

So far no weathering but I have no experience with washes. I do use a lot of drybrushing but does anyone have any tips how to apply a wash to the interior (not for the panel lines). It would be nice to give it more depth instead of just painting it.

Thanks for looking

Cees

post-4-1147460394_thumb.jpg

So far no weathering but I have no experience with washes. I do use a lot of drybrushing but does anyone have any tips how to apply a wash to the interior (not for the panel lines). It would be nice to give it more depth instead of just painting it.

I've had some luck using a wash composed of Tamiya Smoke thinned way, way down with either their own brand of thinner or denatured alcohol. This works best over enamels or lacquers. Using this mix over acrylics could cause the underlying paint to lift or blush.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Ross

Hi Cees,...well not surprisingly i AM Dutch, and sometimes "double dutch" according to some friends..... ;)

Does this mean you hear voices in your head?

Sorry...couldn't let that one slip by! :huh:

Fantastic work! I wish I had the patience for a big vac like you're doing. Wonderful job so far!

Thanks Astro,

Good idea to use smoke. I will try it. Although I have this kit since 1996, progress was very little and I even sold it in 2002. I have achieved more the past few weeks than I could ever have imagined. This board is a great inspiration.

Cheers

Cees

Hi Cees. I am building the F.M. Halifax at the moment and i am watching your build with interest.

I was wondering what colour the cockpit interia was and you have answered my question.

Great work so far Cees. very impressive. A quick tip for you . before you weather the interia coat everything

in Johnsons clear , this will make any washes you use run into all those nice ribs you have done and wont

stain the matt paint , once everything is done as regards to weathering, dry brushing etc just flatten everything off with matt coat you will find you have a nice worn lived in cockpit interia.

I look forward to seeing more of this great build.

Cheers Cees. Keith in the UK :lol:

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the tip about the future wash. I will try that as well. I use the "classic" Humbrol paints. Just for your information, I have used dark grey for the nose section (it should be black) to avoid the black pit syndrome. Aft of the nose section the interior is natural aluminium.

I have two FM Halifaxes as well on the bench, see one of the earlier photo's in this thread.

One of these is also having the interor built up as this 1/32 model (but a bit more simple to speed up things).

I am thinking about a 1/32 Hampden, perhaps scratchbuilt if there are no kits about. The shape is simple. But first have to finish this brute Halifax first. I can recommend large vacforms to anyone as they give you a lot of pleasure and you learn a lot about the aircraft structures as well.

Cheers

Cees

Yep i hear you Cees. I love the big bombers too. i built the Sanger Hampden a while back , possibly

the worst vac kit i have ever encounted , talking of I.Ds 32nd Hampden i missed out on one recently

the kit was missing the clear parts so i debated on weather to buy it or not when i went back a few days

later it had gone. ah well moral of the story is get it while you can.

Now a quick quiz for you. Can you spot the big mistake in the F.M. Halifax ? ;)

Yep i hear you Cees. I love the big bombers too. i built the Sanger Hampden a while back , possibly

the worst vac kit i have ever encounted , talking of I.Ds 32nd Hampden i missed out on one recently

the kit was missing the clear parts so i debated on weather to buy it or not when i went back a few days

later it had gone. ah well moral of the story is get it while you can.

Now a quick quiz for you. Can you spot the big mistake in the F.M. Halifax ? :)

Keith,

Which one?

The incorrect windscreen or the fact that F for Freddy was an early Mk III and didn't have the rounded wingtips. I cut those off on mine.

The general shape is OK but the interior is useless.

The ID Models Halifax I am working on was based on the Al Bentley drawings, they are very good but the windscreen is wrong again (not being assymmetrical enough).

That ID Models Hampden sounded cool, hope they will be made available again in the near future.

Cheers

Cees