1/32 scale Halifax update (sort of)

Cees Broere

The ID Models parts are quite crude but the shape is generally accurate. I hope to use the nacelles together with the Beaufighters parts to create a reasonably accurate appearance.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Cees

post-4-1146074096_thumb.jpg

Cees absolutely wonderful, give Tigger a shout he drops by now and again and he did replacement canopies for the Lanc so he might be able to help also Aires do 32nd .303's in resin which might do for the turrets.

Graham.

Cees

For the Canopy, what I did with the Whirlwind was make a plaster form; should be easier for you since you have a general form to start with...... you can do this by forming a box around it and pouring the plaster in.

Then cover the plaster copy with superfine Milliput and file/sand to the desired shape. At the end you can also cover with Mr Surfacer 500/1000 to get an even smoother finish.

When you are satisfied, you can either smash-form or vacuform a finished canopy.

It takes time and a lot of elbow grease, but its well worth the effort.

Looks good though.... I may have to give it a try!

Dave/ironman1945

Wow Cees, that is the most magnificent Vac build I have ever seen. It is really fantastic. The detail is amazing and so clean. What a wonderful job you are doing there. "About the master for the canopy. If you are really happy with the canopy shape it is easy to be used as a master. just sand it down and put in all the detail you require such as framing etc. then fill it in with milliput. Then you can use it to either vacform the canopy or hotform it.

Thanks for your comments. You got me inspired to finally slap some paint on those long suffering fuselage halves, in this case the starboard. it totally transforms the thing. I will have to do some repairs on the port half and then it's painting time for that one as well.

Seems like you get me going :blink:

Cheers

Cees

post-4-1146403829_thumb.jpg

another one, the front section was painted dark grey to give some contracts to the black boxes etc. Otherwise it would be a dark pit you were looking into. The rear part is painted aluminium as in the original Halifax.

post-4-1146403916_thumb.jpg

Well the repairs went smooth (had to replace some Evergreen strips representing stringers) The port side is painted now as well. All I need to do is complete the detailing of the interior and then the joining of the fuselage halves can't be far off. Never knew it would progress so much this past week.

Thanks

Cees

post-4-1146503482_thumb.jpg

Hi Piet,

The front nose section was normally painted black to prevent the otherwise cockpitgreen paint from reflecting while caught in searchlights. The Air Ministry obviously thought the green would reflect too much compared to matt black. The cockpit area is cockpit green and aft of the flight engineer the interior was natural metal. This would save on weight and as there were only a few portholes the risk of glare was less. I will paint the rear of the fuselage black as there isn't much too see when the fuselage is closed and I will keep the entrance hatch closed as well. I think I have spent enough time inside the fuselage these past years.

It's about time they were closed. I haven't made up my mind if the bomb bay will be kept open. This will take a lot of work to represent the bombay structure ;)

But it would make the whole model so much more interesting.

Cees

Gaaf model Cees (swell model Cees....), you did some neat scratchbuilding on the inside, keep up the good work.

happy modelling,

Jack.

Hallo Jack,

Je Nederlands is niet slecht (your Dutch isn't bad) :ph34r:

Thanks for the comment. I will build the Halifax with open bombbay ( otherwise I will kick myself in years to come for not doing it ) and it will also give the fuselage more strenght, which it needs. Believe me. If you have ever seen the structure of the bombbay, then compare it to the Lanc and then think why I chose the Halifax (not because it is simpler in construction, because it isn't) but because it is much more interesting.

Cheers

Cees