1/32 Trumpeter P-47D - USAF F-47 THUNDERBOLT VIETNAM “FINISHED”

DugyB

Loving this, it's a very interesting concept, and some great work going on.

Small point, and your what-if, your world, your call, of course: but wouldn't the national insignia be a lot smaller in SEA camo?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MikeC said:

Loving this, it's a very interesting concept, and some great work going on.

Small point, and your what-if, your world, your call, of course: but wouldn't the national insignia be a lot smaller in SEA camo?

So correct there, but because of their primary SAR mission the USAF realised the necessity for mega quick identification, it was also discovered once that during a SAR rescue it improved the moral of the downed pilots after they saw the Stars & Bars roar overhead……  :whistle:

Edited by DugyB

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Erwin said:

Great painting !

Thanks there….As soon as I can get off my lazy backside, get the canopy taped up along with a few other masking jobs I’ll get going with some tan colour.   Hoping to get stuck into it tomorrow…. :hmmm:

Edited by DugyB

Sense I didn’t do any preshading My next move was to go back and spray some off white using a random stencil, the effect is very subtle and a bit difficult to see in the pics but after I weather it up with a makeup tool and pastels it should look the part. USAF aircraft in Vietnam looked every bit like they’d been out in the heat and humidity with intensive ops, pretty beat up..

53758644302_de5e8cc8df_b.jpg

53759753428_dd98fb807d_b.jpg

53759753423_10167aac72_b.jpg

It’s taken me a bit longer then expected to get it to this point, going to try and do some reverse mottling before, and then after too of the basic top colours. My only problem is I always seem to be a ham fisted airbrushing type. The reason why I prefer to weather and shade post spraying…. :whistle:

53771483330_782bc25135_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

:coolio::popcorn::speak_cool:

Thanks Mike, while at my paint booth today I pondered how I liked spraying paint and not really knowing what I was doing. Just sort of winging it. Tan is finished and hope to get some green on tomorrow.  Cheers

Bit of a peep here, dark green has been sprayed, couldn’t help myself and pulled off the mask to see the contrast in colours.  I’ll let it dry overnight and tackle the final colour (Med Grn) tomorrow…. er, at least hope too … :whistle:

53797483746_c18ae05feb_b.jpg