NOGS at Binh Thuy

blackbetty

Cant finish the Zipper, ´cause i am waiting on the Master pitot, but its on the home stretch.

So i pulled out this kit:

01.jpg

It has a bit of a story. When Kitty Hawk stopped producing kits i panicked a little and ordered the T-28, the F-5, the Mirage 2000C and the Bronco, being afraid of prices in the future.

i allread built the T-28 https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/97693-vietnames-t-28c/

i collected aftermarket for the F-5 and the Mirage, but wasnt sure what to do wth the Bronco. the desert storm version wasnt my first choice, but i couldnt finde the A version at the time, maybe i didnt look hard enough:hmmm:

but the i remebered a drawing of a version with the long nose in an old squadron book. it turned out it was the YOV-10D, of which version two were employed to Binh Thuy to VAL-4 (being a Navy unit, the NOGS werent acually a part of the Black Ponys i think)

Edited by blackbetty

Investigating further, there are quite some modifications to do: no weapon sponsons and the 3 barreled 20mm gun in a turret mounted on the lower fudelage, cockpit mods and a unique paintjob. fortunately there are many pics of these birds at china lake prior to deployment.

edit; the flir turret needs modifications too

04.jpg

Edited by blackbetty

• blackbetty changed the title to NOGS at Binh Thuy

Terrific! I've still got another Bronco to build myself, will be my 3rd when I do get around to it.

There are a few niggles with the kit, including getting the engines attached, gear attachments (and gear themselves), and one of the main ones the wings. There are lackluster attachment points for the outer wing sections, so they can turn out weak, or droopy if nothing is put inside to stiffen them.

The instructions can be a bit vague, and it's advisable to look WAY ahead and do some planning, not necessarily following the order they dictate. Just plan ahead and you'll be fine Karl.

Above all, I'd HIGHLY recommend getting the Aero craft brass replacement gear:

https://www.aerocraftmodels.com/north-american-bronco-ov-10-undercarriage-for-132-kitty-hawk-kit-11-p.asp

You will for sure get gear splay eventually if the plastic OOB gear is used, especially if the model is set on a smooth surface.

8 hours ago, blackbetty said:

i read your thread a couple of times and will folow it, Brian

i just cant get the gearlegs, it will be about 50€ untill i have it in my hands - just too much

I can understand, atm I'm still still jobless after getting laid off last year, so I know all about not being able to or not wanting to spend the excessive extra amounts for certain things.

10 hours ago, blackbetty said:

i read your thread a couple of times and will folow it, Brian

i just cant get the gearlegs, it will be about 50€ untill i have it in my hands - just too much

Hi Karl. I was puzzled by your comment until I checked the current price ... OMG! It looks such prices have skyrocketed! :( A pity...