Trumpeter F-8E Crusader

chrish

The F-8 doesn’t seem to have a lot of love in the decals department these day. There’s a Russian decal maker, that’s not going to happen, victory models (quite colourful) but not in stock anywhere, a couple of options less interesting than what’s in the box available from Hannants (Zots etc.) so I may just go with what’s in the box. Should’ve shopped for decals a few years ago apparently.

the fin flash decals in the kit for VF 194 400 look quite inspiring actually. A ways to go before I need to decide I guess

4 hours ago, JayW said:

Ha!!  These names the Navy gives their toys.  OK Peter - why "gator"?  

This Air &Space article sums it well.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/air-space-magazine/11_on2015-f8-crusader-at-60-180956611/

Essentially the intake was so low and so big you didn't want to be near the front of the plane, just like a Gator.

On 5/26/2023 at 10:47 AM, blackbetty said:

i have a partial vicrory sheet with options left if you want

Certainly interested !

pm me what you’d like $ wise

thanks

I was working on fitting resin bits to their respective plastic bits and decided the nose gear bay was going to take too much work to fit the resin component so copied the detail in the resin piece into the Trumpeter plastic wheel bay.

stripped some old style telephone wire for the power cabling and added the accumulator(?) from plastic rod etc.

1JE9Nw6.jpg?1

then, sawed off the molded on cabling so I could add mine, not a big difference but it helps...?

0KZlwNg.jpg?1

xM3jEVc.jpg

yOXPNvP.jpg?1

and all the bits I've cobbled up so far;

xijHNyO.jpg

And that's it for tonight

Thanks for looking