Vietnam airfield blast wall

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the first mock-up with 3D printed parts is done! It's a little rough and needs to be fine-tuned, but I think it's headed in the right direction. I've made some modifications and will need to re-print some parts for masters, then time to make molds and cast them. 

In case you're wondering why I wouldn't just 3D print them all instead of casting them, I like cast parts a little better, they are more durable, and it's way faster. My printer is relatively basic and rather small, so printing pieces like the biggest panels takes 6 hours for 5 panels, where I can cast the same number (or more) and de-mold them in about 30 minutes. Plus, I can get rid of some of the lines that the printer leaves, and the casting resin is tougher than the printing resin I like to use. Maybe in the future when I can afford a better/bigger 8k printer, I would consider that, but for now, I'll stick with casting.

Anyway, once I get some cast, I'll let you all know. 

Edited by BiggTim

Yes, and the bolt heads are actually on the mock-up, they are just not visible in that crappy picture. The end panel posts, as you can see in the left frame of the photo, did not have the brackets attached to the exposed side, just the bolt holes and two bolts per panel section. I will post some more close-up shots of the 3D model when I have time. At any rate, the brackets were not visible at all from the outside once assembled, only the bolt heads. There also seems to some degree of variation in the end panels, so the one I mocked up depicts the other method I found. More later.....

Edited by BiggTim