Building after a theme... anyone else do that (and would it be allright to show in RFI?)

Thomas Lund

Hi Guys

I've been wondering if anyone else build after a theme ? Granted... 'that looks cool' is a theme too, but I hope you get what I mean :D

I'm that I've to a vey high degree has been building to a theme, although themes have shifted somewhat over time, but still. These last few years I've been building to a theme that is to include as many nationalities the participated in WWII as possible. At the same time it needs to be interesting planes, so it's not going to be 20 spitfires identical except for the code letters. I find that doing the research is just as much fun and can sometimes bring up some surprising results - just you wait with one I have WIP now...

So... anyone else ?

AND: It is sometimes hard to spot the theme from ONE model when you present the latest, so would it be ok to do a RFI post with a bunch where they are not 100% recent builds ?

To a degree, my theme for the last couple of years has been Messerschmitt's which I will be drawing a line under for now once my current builds are completed and then I will be moving on to an Avro biased scheme with 2 new and one SOD builds to work at. I'm looking forward to getting my teeth in to them and resisting temptation to start early!

Regards. Andy 

Funny you should mention a theme....

Up until a month  or so ago, I was a 'build whatever I thought was cool' type. That meant almost exclusively modern 1/32 jets. Then I built a Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire (sort of converted to a Royal Norwegian Air Force PRXI)...and wow. The sheer building enjoyment knocked me over. So I had to start another...and now, my first theme is 'aircraft of the Royal Norwegian Air Force'. (Just got a boatload of Vingtor decals.) Best part is I get to build a couple more Tamiya Spits, and a Tamiya Mosquito. The other aircraft I'll get to some day, but for now I'm just going to enjoy the Tamiya  builds. 

John

I’ve been slowly building all the Thunderbirds aircraft. I’ve got 6 of the 8 major aircraft completed. The F-105 and F-84F are remaining. 
Similar to johncrow I built an Academy AH-1Z Viper and a Tamiya P-38 and got hooked. So I’m on my 3rd Viper and 3rd P-38 now. The P-38’s started by 2nd real theme, pin-up nose art! The improving weather here has me working up a huge list of things that need done outside so hopefully Fall I’ll get started on modeling again. A few things to finish up now before it gets warm out there and then it’s time for a modeling break.

38CF313C-B65F-4BD1-B4BE-93B619EC3EBD-600

Only two themes I ever wanted to pursue; building one each of the Century series aircraft (probably 1:48) and all of the Panzers from the Panzer 1 to the Panzer VI, and all in 1:16 scale.

And yes, if all are 1:32 or larger, posting them in the RFI area should be fine. I'm not aware of a time restriction on posting finished stuff there. In fact, the first several I ever posted here, were finished several years before.

I used to be pretty focused on a Pacific War theme, but the speed at which I can read about cool new topics in aviation history is so much faster than that at which I can build models that I’ve managed to theme-jack myself a few times.

I still have a bunch of WW2 Japanese kits stashed, and I’ve bought 5 or 6 that would fit with a Vietnam theme, and just the other day I was thinking about how it would be cool to do all the heavy bombers from pre-WW2 through the B-21 in 1/72 scale…. Too many themes, too little time.