Future Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Release ?

Duncan Doenitz

Hi all,

Those of us building the wonderful IXc will have noticed the extra or optional components which are not in the instructions. A rectangular mirror, transparencies for under wing lighting, seat headrest and flare storage. There is the facility to change the profile of the rear fuselage under the tail. The starboard wing has a moulding for a gun camera lens which has to be removed. 

Could we be getting a Seafire or some other variant in future ? I would love a PR.9 in blue but that may require a wing with no gun ports. Or......were they covered over ?

I'm sure Airfix will keep it under wraps until close to release but we can have some fun guessing. A weather reconnaissance Spit would be very interesting too ! 

Hi Duncan,

There wasn't a PR.IX but there was an FR.IX which could be built if you can source an F.24 camera to stick in the rear compartment and modify the door to have a transparency. The FR type still carried it's guns and had the fighter windscreen etc. The famous 'pink' Spitfires were FR.IX's.

Apart from the early single stage Merlin PR types there was a PR.X and a PR.XI but they would require a complete new 'D' wing (or bowser wing) plus cameras, retractable tailwheel etc.

The Mk VIII control services needed are the pointed rudder (later production), included in the kit, elevators with cranked horns, included in the kit and short ailerons. I don't have the kit so don't know if the short ailerons are included. As mentioned in a previous posting the main problem could be the the belly ID light was moved back on the Mk VIII and that would require some tooling mods if accuracy is to be maintained. The Mk VIII also had ID lights under each wing which seem to have been included but not used in the Mk IX kit as released.

Early Seafires had A frame hooks under the rear fuselage so again new tooling needed for the rear fuselage plus the hook. I think that the later Griffon engined Seafires were the first to have stinger tail hooks.

Having said all that I'm hanging out for Airfix to release a Mk VIII but if they take too long I'll buy a IX and mod it to an VIII.

TRF

19 minutes ago, Duncan Doenitz said:

Excellent discussion folks, thanks for your insights.

Crazy Ivan, take the plunge and build the IXc, it's  a beauty.

Heartily agree with this.

An interesting note is that their Mosquito in the same scale also has parts for other variants but were never released as seperate kits.

A bit like the 1/32 Revell Hawker Hunter which was tooled for possible inclusion for a Twin Seater version but never released.

Just because it's been tooled doesn't always mean it'll happen I'm afraid!

Fingers crossed but I do suspect in this case we might get lucky?

5 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

One can only guess that sales figures for the MK IX will determine their willingness to release other variants. 

My "go to" supplier is on his 4th batch of kits so they are flying off the shelves. I would wager that the incremental cost of releasing another variant would be easily recouped. The hard work has been done but you never know. A new bf109 could be a better bet but there's competition.

10 hours ago, Duncan Doenitz said:

Excellent discussion folks, thanks for your insights.

Crazy Ivan, take the plunge and build the IXc, it's  a beauty.

Ok ya twisted my arm , am looking for one ATM for a decent price . I got to watch my Ps and Qs closely. I did build the Typhoon and it went together pretty good ,but a lot of clean-up was needed on the parts which increased the building time by around 30% or so [ no big deal]

8 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

One can only guess that sales figures for the MK IX will determine their willingness to release other variants. 

I don't do 1:24 stuff, yet I bought this. It's an incredible kit, considering the very reasnable price point. The moulding is first rate -  manufactured in the U.K.:clap2:

More importantly, it's not a huge kit. So often display space (or lack of) is a deciding factor for many. 

Hope it does well.

The after market seatbelts are an essential in my opinion. The engine alone is a thing of beauty.

My current problem is what to tackle next. Is there a decent 1:24 P51 ? I will build a Hurricane but fancy doing something sufficiently different next time. The Airfix P51 appears to have a lot of shortcomings so after the Spitfire, it will be a huge disappointment. Maybe I should wait to see what they do with this year's Stuka.

Edited by Duncan Doenitz
typo