I've seen this question of cockpit color for the Hien before

Is that washed out sand in K2's pic? I see something darker under it on the seat, the indigo #3 Mike posted and what appears to be represented in Mechanics post bottom of page 1. Italian sand? That's totally new and in all my research on this subject the only time I've seen it mentioned.

I suppose with the chaos that the war was incurring on Japan in the years the KI 61 was produced Kawasaki probably used whatever paint was available. Maybe even borrowing some from the other manufacturers. No right, no wrong answer?

Now which warren in this rabbit hole to follow. Perhaps the indigo #3, haven't seen too many painted in this color, if any.

Looks like Kawasaki borrowed that paint from Mitsubishi. The idea of doing a personally assigned aircraft with any real accuracy is near impossible for interior coloring.

All this could drive the hatter madder.

Edited by Target

I've taken the can opener down again as I remembered that my original plan before I got wrapped up in the cockpit color enigma was that I wanted a green brown (Japanese Olive drab) exterior, which places manufacturing after 1943, right?

Soooo, going to 3 or 7 as Mr. Williams has stated and moving on.