I've seen this question of cockpit color for the Hien before

But I've not seen any definite conclusion to the matter. Was it Sand color or the No 29 green that was used in the cockpit? I heard someone mention that the sand color is a myth, I've seen many modelers stick with that color (or colour if you prefer) choice. Any new info on this subject? I have both colors and I'm ready to go.

• LSP_K2 changed the title to I've seen this question of cockpit color for the Hien before

MikeMaben let me disagree with you not completely. Here are excerpts from Cameron Lynch's article. I hope I spelled his name correctly...)

""..I would consider Aotake on Kawasaki Ki-61 "Tony" very dubious.
If not Aotake, then what? Ian Baker says: "The interior surfaces of the cabin and the cabin can be covered with an upper layer of light olive color (for example, Ki-67); various shades of hakishi color (for example, "light khaki"
in Ki-61-II, "grayish-brown-yellow" in Ki-61s, Ki-100 and Ki-54)
and also ""...If you have to use Aotake on an IJAAF aircraft, I would only use it on an aircraft made by a company that also produced aircraft for the Navy (Mitsubishi/Nakajima),
which would already have stocks of this paint in the factory anyway. I would consider Aotake on Kawasaki Ki-61 "Tony" very dubious.
If not Aotake, then what? Ian Baker says: "The interior surfaces of the cabin and the cabin can be covered with an upper layer of light olive color (for example, Ki-67); various shades of hakishi color (for example, "light khaki"
in Ki-61-II, "grayish-brown-yellow" in Ki-61s, Ki-100 and Ki-54); "dark bluish-gray" (for example, in Ki-27); or translucent blue-green (for example, in Ki-84). " Ian Andrews in AJ 2,3 agrees. Ken Glass in AJ 1,4
conducted an exhaustive analysis of the color chips found in Model Art Specials, and then compared them with the interior colors found in other Japanese books on various IJNAF /IJAAF aircraft (Maru Mechanics, Famous Airplanes of
the World, Koku). -Fan and Model Art Specials). He concluded that the interiors of Ki-43, Ki-61 and Ki-100 have a yellow-brown hue. This was confirmed by studies of the only remaining Ki-100,
when he was in England in 1985.
Unlike the IJNAF, the IJAAF did not begin color coding controls until late in the war.
Like the IJNAF gas/mixture knobs/knobs, the trigger triggers and landing gear levers were red. The pistol selectors and the height control of the support were yellow, apparently, the use of this color coding is not
It was universal, and there are numerous examples of late-war IJAAF aircraft that did not have color coding.
Here are some FS numbers to start with. Again, these numbers are not gospel, but will give you a place to start.
JAAF Dark Blue-Grey (cab, wheel wells, interior trim) FS 35164
JAAF Khaki (cab, wheel wells, interior trim) FS 33448
JAAF Yellow-Brown (cab, wheel wells, interior trim) FS 30260
JAAF Dark Yellow-Green (cab, wheel wells, interior trim) FS 34255
The JAAF Light Grey-green (cab, wheel wells, interior trim) FS 34226 overlaps with a similar Navy shade.
References used:
Andrews, Ian., World War II Japanese Combat Aircraft, Asahi Journal, Vol. 2, No. 3 Fall 1995
Baker, Ian K., FLOWERS AND MARKINGS OF THE JAPANESE ARMY AIRCRAFT IN THE PACIFIC WAR... AND TO, 16 Immarna Road, Camberwell Victoria 3124, Australia, 1992.
Baker, Ian K., FLOWERS AND MARKINGS OF THE JAPANESE NAVY AIRCRAFT AND MEMORY IN THE TEXT OF THE WAR... AND TO, 16 Immarna Road, Camberwell Victoria 3124, Australia, 1989.
Francillion, Rene, Japanese aircraft of the Pacific War, Naval Institute Press, 1990.
Glass, Ken., What the Mixture doesn't match, Asahi Journal, Vol. 1, No. 4, Winter 1992.
Klaus, David H., IPMS COLOR USAGE GUIDE, IPMS/USA, 1988.
Mikesh, Robert C., JAPANESE COCKPIT INTERIORS, Parts 1 (Volume 14), 1976, and 2 (volume 15), 1977, Monogram Aviation Publications.
Various model art
Various Koku-Fan Specials.
Various famous planes of the world.
Various Maru Mechanics of the World

Lots of words...but you have to be scrupulous about coloring. Japan was an original country. I realized for myself that there were 2 paint schemes - a pre-war scheme and a paint scheme during the war. The chemical industry was undermined by the Japanese during the war, and because of this, the firms "tried" to somehow adapt to the standard of painting aircraft of the ground forces and navy.

The manual calls for RLM 79 Sand Yellow which is close to the spar color you find on CG ships.  In some grainy B & W photos you can see a dark shade of color on the piece behind the pilot's seat. The manual calls for this piece to be painted the same color as the rest of the cockpit , RLM 79. But even though you can't tell what the color in the B & W photo is, precisely, I think the shade is darker than how sand would appear in a B&W photo.   #3 Ash indigo would appear as the darker color in the below photo?

Ki-61-I.jpg

And as this article hints that a Tony with remnants of the original color has been found.http://www.aviationofjapan.com/  I have the Profile 1 book which shows most of the 61's painted with the sand color, I suppose I'll deviate from the majority opinion. Back to the order form to buy #3. I'm not ready to start after all, unless that 4 pack I bought for the #29 includes the #3. Thanks to all who have help me make this decision.:goodjob:

Edited by Target

11 hours ago, mechanic said:

MikeMaben let me disagree with you not completely.

No disagreement here mechanic, I posted the above image I found somewhere on the web years ago

and thot it might help. Thanks for your info.