Z-M Messerschmitt Bf109G-14 Numero Dos

tucohoward

Couldn't decide what LSP I wanted to do next so I decided to do a quick build on my second ZM G-14. This one will be closed up other than cockpit so engine was kept to the minimum I thought I needed to keep everything where it should be. I will rivet it of course. Finished one wing at work today and hope to knock out the other one tomorrow. I always rivet the fuselage after it's together. Earlier version of the cockpit this time with 20mm cannon. No instructions for that but after 50 or so 109s I think I got it right. Also realized I had both EagleCals G-14 sheets. Yellow 10 that I did on my first one is on there I noticed. I painted the markings anyhow so no big deal. Also white 21 which I did years ago with a Hasegawa kit, and actually still have, is on there. It will be one of the tall tails this time for sure.

Jay

20230313_204307.jpg20230313_204541.jpg20230226_151710.jpg20230313_203653.jpg20230313_203727.jpg20230313_203916.jpg20230313_203703.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have been working on this thing but managed to turn it into a total Charlie Foxtrot. While I breezed through the first one I got some things wrong here that went unnoticed right up until they couldn't be ignored. The first mistake showed up when the piece that forms the top of the cockpit didn't fit correctly between the seatback and the front fuselage piece, with the battery storage box. It took a lot of looking at everything before I figured out that I didn't get the rear of the cockpit glued exactly right with the floor. I managed to salvage the situation by sawing apart the pieces and installing some shims to get the length correct, fortunately without totally destroying the completed cockpit.

Thought I was good to go and went ahead and closed the fuselage, riveted everything, installed the gear legs, and the engine. I noticed that it was a little difficult to get the engine mounts to line up with the notches in the firewall but ignored it and moved on. At this point with it standing on it's legs, I noticed the tailplanes were not level. I found that the mount for the left leg was not in the same position as the right. Still not sure why. I managed to snap the left leg off fairly cleanly along it's verticle edge and with much fussing with it, was able to reglue it in pretty good alignment, and used CA to reinforce the joint.

But wait, there's more. Next I tried fitting the various cowling pieces and they didn't seem to fit very well. I didn't recall any issues with the first one, but I did have the upper engine cowlings open. Now I noticed, after staring at it a hundred times while trying to get the gear leg aligned, that the engine was twisted. remember when I ignored the difficulty getting the mounts to line up? Now I found that I had missed a mounting point for the left engine mount to the engine. This can be clearly seen in an earlier picture of the unpainted engine. At this point I was about ready to toss it in the trash, which I have no problem doing. Not sure what stopped me but I decided to put a little more time into it.

I ended up cutting the engine off, moving the engine mount and gluing the assembly to the lower cowling. I knew, or at least thought, that I should the be able to glue the lower cowling to the fuselage panel behind it and have everything in the right spot. This seems to have worked thankfully. I reglued the upper mounts for a little more stability since it was just a butt joint on the bottom. I then went ahead and installed the exhaust stubs and shields. The wings seem to fit after testing but at this point I'm not sure about anything haha. It's probably still 50/50 whether this thing ends up in the trash but for now I'll press on.

Jay

20230328_194213.jpg20230328_194159.jpg20230328_184152.jpg20230317_182940_(2).jpg

Jay,

Wow, what a story of progress!  It's funny...   every build log I've seen of this kit, there seems to be a different way to stuff it up.  If you remember my build, I had to cut the engine mounts clean off, and fill the space between firewall and engine with a glob of blutack...   then I added the engine panels to get the length right.

Cockpit looks great!

• 3 weeks later...

Good saves..!

I keep thinking I'm going to buy this kit, but then I see a build and wonder if it's worth it... It's a great kit 'on paper' but it seems pretty unforgiving with multiple steps at which a slight error gets compounded and bites back...

But I do like the look of it...

Hope you manage to keep it steered away from the trash can...

Matt