GWH 1/32 CURTISS HAWK 81-A2 AVG FLYING TIGERS

25 minutes ago, quang said:

That doesn’t mean that there was not a time when the colours were fresh. Just that we don’t have  photos of it.

Likewise, we don’t have period photos of the wing underside. What makes you think that the blue was darker? :P

Simply the effect of the sun UV on the paint pigments. The bottom always stays in the shadow. For whatever reason, the difference observed between the wings top and the fuselage is far more obvious than between the fuselage and the wing bottom. This may seem illogical as the fuselage sides are somewhat exposed to the sun but this is what many pictures taken in the CBI or PTO are showing. For whatever reason, there are MANY pictures of the Flying Tigers P-40, including very good color ones. So, there are relevant primary sources.

That is a great result in so many ways, build, paint and weathering are all top notch.

As to weathering I take the view that they were all new or newish at some stage in their operational lives, maybe this is because I do not have the patience required and am rubbish at weathering !

Cheers

Dennis

On 3/8/2023 at 7:57 AM, Juggernut said:

I believe the roundels on the top are representative of faded insignia.  Decals like this were provided by EagleCals in the past.  The underside ones should be a darker shade of blue.

On 3/8/2023 at 8:13 AM, quang said:

I know about the theory (?) of fading colours. Even though, there was a period in their lifetime when they were not that faded, right?:rolleyes: 
They just look better in darker blue.

I know I have around here somewhere a set of decals with the Chinese roundels that includes both faded and non-faded insignia to cover whichever you want (or bottom and top of wing).