F-4 Formation

1 hour ago, Peter Greengrass said:

believe that strut is coated in a 'Cosmoline' type preservative.

Concur, though for the live of me I can’t remember what it’s called! It was widely used back then. Likely banned now as some sort of cancerous product, but it was widely used for sure.

11 hours ago, easixpedro said:

Concur, though for the live of me I can’t remember what it’s called! It was widely used back then. Likely banned now as some sort of cancerous product, but it was widely used for sure.

Looks and reminds me of Dinitrol, although likely produced under different names.

11 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Air Force guy in there-

Wonder how long it took them to get him to hit the boat instead of trying to grease it on?   Whilst on my first assignment at Key West, Florida, I often had the opportunity to watch the Navy F-4 guys land versus the Air Force F-4s out of Homestead AFB.  The differences in ops was breathtaking.  The Navy guys plastered their airplanes onto the runway with great gusto at a specific spot every time with the airplane groaning and gnashing its teeth while the Air Force guys would float along (as much as an F-4 will float) and ease theirs on with hardly any tire smoke.  Great fun to watch.  Very loud as well.

On 3/22/2023 at 6:10 PM, easixpedro said:

Yup, can't recall exact name but we sprayed it from a white can on certain areas. Like a waxy - greasy coating against corrosion. Sometimes in the hellhole I think.

On 3/25/2023 at 7:53 AM, Oldbaldguy said:

Wonder how long it took them to get him to hit the boat instead of trying to grease it on?   Whilst on my first assignment at Key West, Florida, I often had the opportunity to watch the Navy F-4 guys land versus the Air Force F-4s out of Homestead AFB.  The differences in ops was breathtaking.  The Navy guys plastered their airplanes onto the runway with great gusto at a specific spot every time with the airplane groaning and gnashing its teeth while the Air Force guys would float along (as much as an F-4 will float) and ease theirs on with hardly any tire smoke.  Great fun to watch.  Very loud as well.

This made the rounds with all my NavAir friends about a year ago.  Makes me chuckle everytime I see it...