F-4 Formation

9 hours ago, Finn said:

A close formation of Phantoms:

78e14ea8a789817ec53a26e60c2a8297.JPG

Jari

This wonderful happy snap has me wondering:  For those of you who might know, what is wrong about the Revell F-4 canopies?  It is very hard to get them to look like this because, well, they just don’t.  And lookit all them stencils!

7 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

This wonderful happy snap has me wondering:  For those of you who might know, what is wrong about the Revell F-4 canopies?  It is very hard to get them to look like this because, well, they just don’t.  And lookit all them stencils!

If Revell repop the RF-4C I'm going to splice a Tamiya canopy deck with some Aerocraft hoods and windshield to it.

It would be useful if the Aerocraft set included a clear arch to go between the hoods. In fact, I have a spare Tamiya fuselage that can be hacked up to create a master to fit the Revell. 

The pics are nice but the idiot RIO in the first one might have a hard time ejecting bare headed. 

Tony 

15 hours ago, Tony T said:

It would be useful if the Aerocraft set included a clear arch to go between the hoods. In fact, I have a spare Tamiya fuselage that can be hacked up to create a master to fit the Revell.

Tony 

Hi Tony. Actually you should say it to Ali. I bugged him at various times to create a full insert based on the Tamiya fuselage!

On 3/7/2023 at 2:15 PM, Tony T said:

The pics are nice but the idiot RIO in the first one might have a hard time ejecting bare headed. 

Happens more than you think.  And the helmets get super nasty when you're wearing the same one for hours upon hours each day and sweating non-stop. They get kind of funky if you know what I mean. I was lucky in that I had 3 in my 23-year flying career--supply types can be rather stingy when it comes to handing out equipment.  I would take mine off momentarily (usually not while flying close form mind you) just to get some relief and scratch an itch. Also I recall reading a story about a 'Nam era Scooter pilot that had a penchant for taking off his helmet and pounding the instrument panel with it out of pure frustration. Story goes that 2 carrier alpha strikes nearly collided, one coming/one going. About 60 airplanes going beak to beak at the speed of heat. The story as relayed by his wingman was that the guy had taken off his helmet and was screaming at the absurdity of it all.

2 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

And what color is that nose strut?

A nice shade of brown. A mess of hyd fluid and grease. Rims on the nose tires are pretty nasty too.  Those old school cats threw a lot of grease. And coupled with stack gas from the boilers, everything was nasty. Am guessing this is a flyoff (due to the blivot) at the end of cruise. Jets would've been pretty grungy and waiting for washdowns at Miramar...

• 2 weeks later...