Airfix 1/24th Spitfire Mk.IX BS104 YO-R - **COMPLETED!**

Shoggz

Evening all. It's been about five years since I participated in a group build or indeed posted any 'in progress' photos at all.

This seemed like an ideal opportunity to jump back in!

The 1/24th Spitfire from Airfix is a great addition to the LSP stable. I've bought four of them as I want to do a selection of early and late examples.

This is the first one, and I've decided to do this aircraft:

Spitfire Mk.IX

As it happens, EagleCals include it in their EAG24185 decal set, so I grabbed one.

I've also snagged airscale's cockpit upgrade.

Tonight was the first night I've managed to spend some concerted time on the project and I managed to get it to this point.

Spitfire 1/24 day 1 Spitfire 1/24 day 1 Spitfire 1/24 day 1

Still some weathering (probably dry-brushing) to do, but I'm pleased with my first full night's progress. (The wife is away currently, so I managed a straight five hours!)

Well, another couple of hours spent on my Spitfire tonight - though I don't seem to have progressed much!

Got the other cockpit wall done though - it's the detail painting - it takes ages, rightly so.

Spitfire 1/24th 2023 03 09

Spitfire 1/24th 2023 03 09

Nothing is glued down yet. I want to keep everything loose until I put everything together in case there's any 'wriggling' that needs to be done.

I'm enjoying this!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after a week not having the opportunity to get into my hobby room, I've managed to have a decent session tonight - shared between this build and the Kotare Mk.I

I've managed to get the fuselage zipped up - though me being me, I seemed to manage to make it harder than it should have been - certainly in comparison to everyone else building this kit!

I did numerous successful dry runs before committing the glue, but as soon as I did, I seemed to get a large gap just in front of the cockpit.

I could alleviate it, but in doing so, I popped out the fit at the bottom of the firewall area. Arrgghh!

It took a couple of hours fettling to get everything tied up properly - but with a dollop of Vallejo plastic putty and some Mr Dissolved Putty on top I managed to get there..

Anyway, I forged on and got the tail section completed too.

Here's where we're at:

2023 04 06 2023 04 06 2023 04 06

There's still some work to do on the filling and sanding, but that can wait for a while till I have to wait for paint to dry!