Bf 109 G-2 of Johannes "Macky" Steinhoff - REVELL - 1/32

Furie

Hi Denis, I use toothpicks all the time. you can shape the ends and it doesn't scratch plastic , clear or not.

I wouldn't recommend using CA for seat belts as there's no need for strength and no pressure on them at

all when assembled. I use water soluble glue like white glue or Elmer's . It dries clear, it's got

plenty of stick.  Your belts look just fine.

Edited by MikeMaben

Hi Mike and thanks for your advice.
My reasoning for using CA on the pilot's harnesses is that since it's a difficult shape to put on (with a bit of a springy effect) you have to work contact point after contact point in a fast way and therefore use CA. 
I'll have to try what you suggest, both stick and normal white glue (like white glue for gluing wood).
I read somewhere that the Mr HOBBY MARK SETTER was the equivalent of a white glue for wood.
What do you think about it?

mr-hobby-ms234-fixateur-decalques.jpg

I've never used Mr. Mark Setter (a decal setting solution ?). If it 'is' a setting solution it's likely

a mild adhesive. I recently got some Tamiya Mark Fit Strong but haven't tried it yet. I was just

suggesting an alternative. Like I said, your belts look fine.

Indeed Mark setter is a glue to reinforce the gluing of the decals.
Yes, don't worry, I'm not going to take off my pilot harnesses to try if it works with white glue! 
My question was just theoretical: is the type of glue "decals" equivalent to a white glue for wood?
The cockpit is stored in its Tupperware, in the highest shelf of my closet, I locked the door and it's not going to move!

giphy.gif

In the series "let's laugh a little with Denis", today I present you the rear caster support of my G-2, seen by REVELL.

I promise you that I cut the part from its cluster, being careful not to bend or break anything, and it gives this beautiful and symmetrical part...

veea.jpg

The assembly of the fuselage is coming soon and I have some questions.

1-I'm going to use this Tamiya glue and from what I've seen the correct method is to position the two ½ fuselages together, hold them with tape in several places and then gently apply the glue with the brush all along the fuselage.

Can you confirm this for me?

Like this for example:

image088.jpg

4p4k.jpg

2-Always concerning plastic glues, apart from this extra fluid Tamiya glue, do you think I need another type of plastic glue (maybe less fluid) in my "toolbox"?
If you have any advice or reference to give me (Tamiya, AK, MIG etc...) that would be great. 
Thanks in advance.

Edited by Furie

3 hours ago, Greif8 said:

Denis, I agree with Mike; I think your seatbelts look just fine as they are.  The entire cockpit look quite good.  You did an especially good job on the seat chipping.

Ernest

Thanks Ernest.
This cockpit is not too bad, and I give myself an average grade/could do better.
I am globally satisfied with my work but I must admit that the Eduard set contributes a lot.  The rendering of this set is really very convincing, the set up is quite easy and I really don't regret my purchase.

35 minutes ago, Furie said:

The assembly of the fuselage is coming soon and I have some questions.

1-I'm going to use this Tamiya glue and from what I've seen the correct method is to position the two ½ fuselages together, hold them with tape in several places and then gently apply the glue with the brush all along the fuselage.

Can you confirm this for me?

Like this for example:

image088.jpg

4p4k.jpg

Hi Denis

I like this build a lot.

Just a caution on Tamiya extra thin or similar glues. They work fantastic but there are a few things to watch for. Sometimes the capillary action lets it run around the tape as well. What I have come to do lately is to use clamps which does hold the piece but not close to the area being glued with the extra thin. Another way is to tack the parts with superglue, and once set use the extra thin. Warning, any fingers near the extra thin will leave a fingerprint onto the plastic. :doh: This stuff runs everywhere.

Cheers

Nick

So a huge thank you to you Nick!
Now that you mention it, it's true that this glue really goes everywhere, and you can trust me, it will also go where I don't want it to!
I think I'll use the second method you recommend: a few small dots of superglue (I have some in gel form, slow setting) and then final gluing with the Tamiya, at least if I understood what you meant.

giphy.gif

Edited by Furie

Thanks for your advice, it will save me from making mistakes, and thanks to you I'm still very careful with this glue, I even use surgeon gloves to avoid the famous fingerprints.
I glued the 2 top pieces of the vertical fin with a little slow cyano, and then I glued with Tamiya.
The cockpit has just been glued to the ½ fuselage, I leave the glue and then I assemble the two ½ fuselages...

m80s.jpg6abd.jpgwyye.jpgcw7r.jpg

Here I go step by step for the fuselage: I started with the upper front part with Tamiya glue + clamps = a bead of melted plastic appears at the joint, just right.
I let the plastic weld harden before continuing.
For now, no fingerprints, the police won't be able to prove anything against me! :lol:

3ogw.jpg

Edited by Furie

Lots of sound advice about glues Denis, the warnings about the Tamiya Extra Thin flowing everywhere are particularly relevant so clamps are always my preferred option, though I often use an old fashioned "tube" glue as well, I just happened to have some Revell stuff around so I use that.