Spitfire XVI SL721 - Finished!

Bill Bunting

Right sidewall detail added include a small storage box above and behind the canopy crank and a simple canvas strap below the crank with the paper checklist. pISTeXs2CNzZ75quDrWhVB6qn0yvmHPpSZgYGtaa

The holes in the former were drilled to a greater depth. Lines added to the botyom of the undercart control.CQEd6aFLoC3jWD2fPw4TY0x6YpgWMrHSPY42oHiR

AU-J has a modern VHF radio and a transponder. In order to fit them a box was built just below the trim wheel on the left side. I used plastic card to build out the box. Wires were added to the electric coils.

kNzZWWtvoyi0FP6fF6GiKAN0ghacrcBv54_jAKLX

Seat and harness next.

AU-J has a bucket seat, leather back rest, no flare rack and a modern "Hooker" brand seat harness.  I bought the Barracuda resin seat for another kit and dressed it up.  Here it is on the left next to the kit seat

.AMWts8AxTfLZAzFSslrC7EWRjyBC3NNW-pabp_JI

UNFORTUNATELY....being made of resin, the mounts on the back are very brittle and three of the four broke when trying to attach it to the bulkhead. So I decided to try the cushion myself on the kit seat.  I moulded it from Tamiya epoxy putty, my first attempt was acceptable.

AMWts8BgFVnHuLbVQEuRHCcfksmfaibRobZchBehAMWts8DlxrNMpYxlN0dIWoXu54gMF1FZYO-2Jd64

The "Hooker" harness is very similar to those used in some US military types (and the PT-26 that I fly) so I stole the Tamiya PE set from a P-51D kit.  Painted they look good.  I tried to replicate stitches by running a riveting wheel over a marker pen and then on the straps.  OK but not perfect.  It looks OK in reality, awful in the pictures.  A little more weathering after this picture blended it in more.

AMWts8Br4mYJYkpvhzmcMz9qB9_7TafcoTuy764gAMWts8Bc-z30VWnHNYg7NxgMT9sdHkLmO5x7lpA8

Cheers.

Edited by Bill Bunting

I have a few photos of AU-J when it was in Canada.  The cockpit photos show a small control on the right sidewall beside the seat.  It's a small valve control knob within a red bracket. I have no idea what it is and I have never seen it in cockpit photos of other Spitfires.  

It is located behind the undercart control and forward of the red cylinder.  Anyone know what it is?

JF1rDcCY7DoLbJr6FtXTRZcHJsb6E0yfhXTp4AcJ

Here it with the red cover turned around. 

vOI9YT5Gd3fkX8-N9ODY1MamaqenlZ-WDSdL0G-8

I built one from wire, sheet plastic and a punched disc.  I then lost it and built another.  This is the first, the second is similar.-pMBpePc_gmp_FU5PEkLo93qzAn1PBiNGUaZxJhz

So now it's time to see how it all fits together...3UfV8sisrdqIETor7BBaOL1C2tGqFF4aKM3F5MFhDAUE6OF31ShhOitHEIZA-FoOtlDksa3F5hWr82Pr

A couple more details to add.

Cheers.

Edited by Bill Bunting

5 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

This ?

255.jpg

It could be....

But a different design. Maybe a valve but without the plunger. Perhaps the system was pressurised?  I'm meeting the pilot and owner next month, I'm sure he will confirm.

This is a closer view of the one I'm doing.

X7uf85kqRHzIlnVZlZ77zkwuBzflIFPbxKeNA_pN

Thanks!

17 hours ago, Bill Bunting said:

It could be....

But a different design. Maybe a valve but without the plunger. Perhaps the system was pressurised?

I think that's the case Bill. The red C shaped bracket looks like it pivots acting as a safety. Curious to find out.  :hmmm:

9 hours ago, red Dog said:

If that helps here's a blowup of a picture with that part and the labelling :

AU-J_cockpit_1.png

the original picture I had saved - sorry I can't remember the origin of the picture

AU-J_cockpit_2.png

red Dog - That's fantastic.  Now I know what it is for.  It looks very much like OO-XVI / C-GVZB since the drop tank control is missing and the added strap on the framework.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, geedubelyer said:

What a great community.  

I'm pretty much amazed on the daily, at some of the pics, info, general knowledge and above all skill levels of some of our members. The great attitude that most of the membership shares is indeed what makes this place special among sites IMHO. 

6 minutes ago, KiwiZac said:

I was going to ask Dave Hadfield on Facebook but great to see that photo from red Dog!

Dave is actually a friend of mine, he lives nearby and we meet at the airport often and I'vehelped out with some of his Lysander trips.  In fact he played a role in this build, he ferried the kit from the Ottawa donor to me to be built.  

Dave never flew the Mk.XVI at VWOC and the Mk.IX (Y-2K) is different so he wasn't sure. 

Thanks though!