1:32nd scale Hannover Cl.II

sandbagger

Hi all,
As the build of the Halberstadt Cl.II is coming to a close, I've started to prepare for the next model.
This hopefully will be Hannover Cl.II, Serial No.690/18 of FEA 8 (Fliegerersatz Abteilung 8), based at Graudenz (now Grudziadz in Poland) in late 1918. 
I've changed my original scheme to this one as the decals I applied did not go well.
Basically the lozenge decal I used were clear backed, which was not the problem.
The problem was adding the rib and edging tapes to the wings etc.
The cut clear backed lozenge decal, when applied, showed the underlying decal, making the rib tapes way to dark and muted.
I did try white backed lozenge decal, but they were way too bright.
Basically I should have used the white backed lozenge decal to start with.
So, rather than spend more buying replacement decal, I decided to change the scheme to the above.
Also, I have a commission build of the CSM Bristol Scout waiting to be started, so time is pressing, 

Mike

title.jpg

aircraft.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
I've started on the Argos As.III engine.
I'm using the kit supplied alternative cylinder block, as this does not have the unrealistic solid moulded valve push rods.
These will be added later using Nickel-Silver tube.
The exit ports of both exhaust pipes have been drilled out as these were also solid moulded.
Finally, I've added 0.8 mm diameter tube to the rear ends of the ignition lead support tubes.
These will allow for the insertion of ignition leads from the magnetos later in the build.

Mike

eng3.jpg

eng4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,
The fuselage is close to being closed up now.
I've added:
   The rudder and elevator control cables, using 0.12 mm diameter mono-filament and 0.5 mm diameter blackened Brass tube.
   The wireless cable from the from the hand reel in the observers cockpit and through the cockpit floor.
   The control rod from the clutch control lever (wireless set generator - engine driven), from 0.4 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube.
I've also fitted the cockpit panel for the pilots machine gun ammunition magazine in the half open position, not that you can see much of the ammunition inside the magazine.
The engine and two radiator pipes are only dry fitted.
Those, along with the pilots 'Spandau' machine gun, will be fitted after the fuselage has been painted.
An engine throttle control will also be fitted at the same stage.

Mike

con6.jpg

con7.jpg

Oh wow that looks good!

I see you have chosen quite a dark shade for the natural wood interior which is interesting: Generally the Hannovers were skinned with 1.6 mm Baltic birch plywood and then with doped fabric over the top. It is not clear from my references whether this would be on both the inner and the outer surfaces though. 

But, you are doing a fantastic job with this machine and I am really looking forward to seeing the finished result.

Kind regards,

Paul

18 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Oh wow that looks good!

I see you have chosen quite a dark shade for the natural wood interior which is interesting: Generally the Hannovers were skinned with 1.6 mm Baltic birch plywood and then with doped fabric over the top. It is not clear from my references whether this would be on both the inner and the outer surfaces though. 

But, you are doing a fantastic job with this machine and I am really looking forward to seeing the finished result.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes, your correct in that birch plywood was used on the fuselage and certainly covered with doped lined.

I couldn't find any reference to the type of finish that was applied inside the fuselage and cockpit areas.

'Wingnut Wings' call for a dark wood finish and usually their recommendations are well researched.

So I've assumed that a dark shellac varnish or similar was applied to the fuselage internals,

Mike  

Hi all,
Both weapons for the Hannover completed.
The pilots 'Spandau' is a combination of the kit supplied parts and the ‘Master’ Spandau LMG 08/15 barrel and jacket (AM-32-023).
The observers 'Parabellum' is the ‘Gaspatch’ Parabellum 14/17 resin machine gun,

Mike

guns4.jpg