ID Models 1/48 CP-140 Aurora

chrish

Thanks for all the visits. and helpful comments.

I'm aware of the Lonestar resin engines, props and spinners but I'm going to attempt my own first (before I admit defeat and order his) A search (fairly in depth but admittedly cursory so far) has shown no landing gear from any aftermarket (expected) but wheel/tire parts should be doable from somewhere... we'll see. 

As to the windex bottle on the pipe fitting. Years ago when I worked in automotive service repair (mechanic) we used to reclaim R-12 refrigerant and store it in the type of tank seen here to send out for recycling, this tank was contaminated with propane based refrigerant and rejected for recycling, as contaminated. I bought the cylinder with the charge in it and eventually re-tasked it as a air tank paired to my compressor (an re-purposed- re-tasked fridge compressor) that I ran for about 8 years before buying a dedicated airbrush compressor (Red Green/ Macgyver is the theme here) I built a manifold to run 3 airbrushes off the tank, one of the fittings leaked and the old Badger aerosol valve is holding it's place until I get a "round tuit" The last piece is the Windex bottle, as suggested, hanging from my home made manifold by the trigger it gets used for quick spritz of the airbrush between color changes and cleaning off the work bench, and it even cleans window...it's great stuff. 

11 hours ago, denders said:

Hope these help with the panel lines. I'm not sure I have anything with someone's idea of rivet locations.

that will help a lot!!

Thanks!

14 hours ago, Alex said:

Yep, that’s going to be huge…

looks like there are RCAF options for the subject as well 

There were at least 4 sheets of Canadian decals included in the box, the one thing I may not have trouble finding...

13 hours ago, chrish said:

As to the windex bottle on the pipe fitting. Years ago when I worked in automotive service repair (mechanic) we used to reclaim R-12 refrigerant and store it in the type of tank seen here to send out for recycling, this tank was contaminated with propane based refrigerant and rejected for recycling, as contaminated. I bought the cylinder with the charge in it and eventually re-tasked it as a air tank paired to my compressor (an re-purposed- re-tasked fridge compressor) that I ran for about 8 years before buying a dedicated airbrush compressor (Red Green/ Macgyver is the theme here) I built a manifold to run 3 airbrushes off the tank, one of the fittings leaked and the old Badger aerosol valve is holding it's place until I get a "round tuit" The last piece is the Windex bottle, as suggested, hanging from my home made manifold by the trigger it gets used for quick spritz of the airbrush between color changes and cleaning off the work bench, and it even cleans window...it's great stuff. 

Rube Goldberg looks upon your works with envy.  Sir, I salute your ingenuity.

jumping around (in construction) like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.

I've begun marking out the big parts for panel line scribing (I also set up a flat board in the garage to block sand the seams but it's -20 C out there (10 deg. warmer than outside) 

One wing had a bit of a malformed outboard nacelle, Tamiya putty and a bunch of sanding seems to have helped it. 

Some of the work in "progress"

BULffDx.jpg

N1QUUm8.jpg

and one engine under construction next to an untouched one

EtZBPBT.jpg

Also, on spec. I've ordered Brengun resin C-130 extended flaps in the thinking (hoping) they may be able to be cobbled into this model. If not there may be a 1/48 C-130 in the future

Thanks for looking

29 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Excellent progress, Chris. How are you doing the louvres on the underwing engine cowlings?

Kev

Thanks, I have a couple of scribing templates that offer louvers in a row, I marked these in pencil here to get them close to where I thought they should be. I’m hoping to re-align the  guide on the pencil marks and scribe them through the template then refine them with a razor saw. Easy when you say it fast…

• chrish changed the title to ID Models 1/48 P-3 Orion

Thanks men!!

I spent an enjoyable chunk of day knifing up the wings on the Orion. I've decided the quite soft intakes should be dealt with;

H02jgbm.jpg?1

As well, the ailerons are too long chordwise so, I've filled them in for later rescribe/ removal

uLPtMyq.jpg

Top and bottom of the left wing;

lXnqaTS.jpg

Thanks for looking

6 hours ago, A-10LOADER said:

Your a brave man to tackle this one or, a glutton for punishment ? Either way keep it up.

Steve

Haha, I’ve never been accused of bravery. I may be a bit stup….prone to making poor decisions and definitely a modelling masochist 

I recently treated myself, as a advance reward to finishing two vac’s to 3 Trumpeter kits with all the bells and whistles from aftermarket. An F14D, A7E and F8E so…if I finish this one, I will have nothing but big jets for the next few builds

• chrish changed the title to ID Models 1/48 CP-140 Aurora

I've changed the name of the project to reflect the direction of the build.

Moving along, slowly and not so surely I've cleaned the backing sheet from everything but the fuselage. Some aftermarket parts may be here for it in the next couple of days (tracking numbers from Hannants just received this morning) 

LBp9h0v.jpg

Aaannd I was this many years old before I realized I could cut a vent into the model but leave the front of the vent uncut and push the rear part into the model to create a representation of an intake. Here's those vents

rmTRqhW.jpg?1

Wondering around on the web I found images of an updated CP-140 Aurora that had a large dome on the fuselage, sensors and aerials all over it and (what looks like) a FLIR pod under the nose. My first thought was, "I think I saved that big clear part from the HK Models Lancaster" which I did and even more strangely, I found it and, it fits the top of the model. So, with that in mind I may going down a rabbit hole but I'm going to try to build the aircraft in the picture I found.

Here's one side of the fuselage with what I hope to use as the dome sitting on it. It should look better once it's glued on and not so much see through.

WenxAaM.jpg

The butchery continues

Thanks for stopping by