ID Models 1/48 CP-140 Aurora

chrish

On 3/5/2023 at 2:01 PM, chrish said:

You are correct, the windshield does look far to flat, unfortunately nothing I can do about it.

I think John Wilkes (aka Tigger) has the molds for the clear cockpit piece. I may be worth dropping him a line and seeing if he can run you off a copy..?

6 hours ago, tomprobert said:

I think John Wilkes (aka Tigger) has the molds for the clear cockpit piece. I may be worth dropping him a line and seeing if he can run you off a copy..?

Thanks, if it’s newerer and improvederer than the clear component included in the kit it may be worth a try, there is a clear cabin roof/ windshield component but it’s grainy, with trapezoidal and diamond shaped windows, it’s also as flat faced as the opaque component and virtually unusable.  A comparison with the opaque plastic revealed it is an exact copy of the fuselage only clear

Not much to show for progress, still working on it but can't show much other than sanding dust and plastic shavings.

What has happened is the resin bits (admittedly, not to scale and designed for different model kits) have arrived and I can begin chopping and trying to fit them. Extended flaps, inside the wing to the right, extended portion to the left;

hkmmiYo.jpg

and pylons, not gonna say what they're designed for but it was never for a P-3

8DIM4jF.jpg

Oh yes, and the nose gear bay under way

ohPTroG.jpg

enough talk, back to work.

Thanks for looking

So, I've gone ahead and begun rough fitting of the flaps to the model, as well, I've got a bit of progress on the nose gear bay, not accurate in any way but just to busy it up.

first pic. the gear bay (still in progress);

4Kdc10p.jpg

anYw9N1.jpg

flap(s) being fitted, stbd side here from the top;

ujUiUih.jpg

from the bottom;

PZMYuU7.jpg

Thanks for looking

A bit more farting around with fitting things.

I've punched a hole through the fuselage halves, a kind of I beam hole, and added a strip of .020" around the raised area on the fuselage where the wing may someday hopefully maybe fit to it. after that I taped a wing in place and marked and cut the slot for the fitting of the flap.

Spar (no dihedral in it yet)

YVWaMYL.jpg

AmWy0i3.jpg

hHPFsfG.jpg

and that's all for now.

Thanks for looking

still showing some insanity runs deeply here, I used Bluetack...actually a reasonable faximilie of Bluetack to form a tub of sorts around the vents on a helicopter model, poured some silicon mold maker into those tubs then made castings of those vents. I've tacked them in place here to see if I like the idea... still thinking about it.

kSPAAFv.jpg

Sm4smYI.jpg

and those vents test fitting;

gPJNx6j.jpg?1

Thanks for looking

I'm getting close to closing up the wings now. Decided to quit procrastinating and get to work on scribing some details on the wings.

y8RJLvN.jpg?1

GgJvpTC.jpg?1

and adding a bit more to the gear bays to tart them up a bit, this is old fashioned telephone wiring;

oeolEvu.jpg?1

l3rt5TX.jpg

work continues...

Thanks for looking

Thanks mates!

I must be sniffing too much glue or putty or something. I was scribing the long lines on the upper left wing half, finished them, held it up to admire and realized I'd followed the leading edge line instead of my (spar datum) line so all my panel lines were parallelograms or diamond shaped...what to do? stomp on the bugger and thow it out came to mind, leave it (who'll notice)or fill and sand and start over.

bYwI4Is.jpg

option 3 in progress

to add to the insanity, I've ordered "Master" turned brass static wicks...what the hell it's only money right?

Thanks for looking

panel lines and rivets (mostly) added to the main planes, work has begun on the stabilizers now;

FknO7fF.jpg

1qXLiUY.jpg?1

8XKsFFy.jpg?1

Not much added for the wing tips as they'll need different work done to represent the sensor packages (whatever those knobby things are) I'll need to cut out the ailerons yet but not until the wing halves are joined, the kit representations are all kinds of different sizes.

Thanks for looking

A first for this build...I've actually glued some kit parts together. I have basically finished the scribing and riveting of the horizontal stabilizers and added some spars/ attachment posts (Michael's craft sticks) closing up the attachment area of the wings allows me to fill the round-over and get a bit sharper corner.

l28wx86.jpg?1

A resin casting of the kit clear part shows the asymmetry, now with this made I have a couple of directions/ options ahead of me to fix the flat windshield, roof shape/contour. Not that it's really all that bad but if I noticed it...anybody will.

I6ZAyLu.jpg

Thanks for looking