1/24 AIRFIX SPITFIRE IXc. The fun build

quang

Beautiful work Quang!

Martin sent me the link to your build earlier today. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to log in for a while as I completely forgot my password. I tried a few different ones today and got lucky!

Your build brings back a lot of memories albeit in 1/32nd scale, LOL! I have to question one small detail though. The small placard you added to the front of the small hydraulic tank that sits between the oil separator and the coolant tank for the intercooler shouldn’t be written in german! That made me laugh.  

Is the surface of the fuselage smooth? Their Hellcat has a slightly pebbly surface texture which really needs to be sanded down.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers,

Wolf

3 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

The small placard you added to the front of the small hydraulic tank that sits between the oil separator and the coolant tank for the intercooler shouldn’t be written in german! That made me laugh.  

Haha! Indeed the decal came from the Z-M Bf109G-14 :D.
I needed something to busy up the small tank and found that decal. Looked good until I took the photos :P. I was curious to know who would be the eagle-eye to notice it first. YOU did! :clap2:

3 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Is the surface of the fuselage smooth? Their Hellcat has a slightly pebbly surface texture which really needs to be sanded down.

I haven’t seen the 1/24 Hellcat close but the Spitfire skin is perfectly smooth without being shiny.
Airfix took special care to represent the type of every different rivet and fastener used on the airframe. No divot à la Trumpeter here. A real joy to behold!

Note the oh-so subtle oil canning (green) and the datum-line half-disc indicator (red)

8-CEB7-C59-0-B0-D-4317-B849-2-B0-EFF70-C

Separate panels for the armament bays (red) and landing flap actuator (blue) in situ. Note the excellent fit!
E3-E034-D7-682-F-4143-91-B7-68832992941-

3 hours ago, Stromboli said:

Your painting and weathering skills are top notch.  This is a very impressive build.

I admit that it took more time for painting and weathering because the vast areas on these larger scale kits are rather unforgiving.

I also replaced the Rotol logo decals provided by Airfix because they’re more fit for the modern warbirds. WWII logo were less obtrusive and also their location was slightly different. So I cut a mask and painted them on.

Thank you for your comments!

Cheers,

Quang

8 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to log in for a while as I completely forgot my password. I tried a few different ones today and got lucky!

Hi Wolf, glad you made it back in. You working on anything ?

Edited by MikeMaben

32 minutes ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

The proper phrase is 'Resistence is futile' I believe

I shall get my (assimilation) coat

Haha! a literal translation from French saying ‘toute résistance est vaine’.

A perfect example of what my English teacher (bless her soul) used to call ‘faux-amis’ (fake friends), seemingly same words in French and English yet with different meanings. :P