Jet powered snow removal

Pete Fleischmann

Back in the eighties we had a "contraption" in the Royal Netherlands Air Force, that originated as a VW van-like vehicle with two derwent jet engines, one in front and one at the back of the vehicle, feeded by a jet fuel tank on top of the van and eventually before it was not accepted anymore as a ice-fighter the system evolved into a full grown de-icing vehicle with engines frontal and aft being able to sway left and right by the vehicle itself doglegging in a straight line and also beiing able to move up and down.

As airtraffic controller you had to monitor the progress ( also at night, because of QRA conditions making it absolutely neccessary to have ice free tracks and runways at all times) and by using a follow-me car and radio connections you had to direct these "pilots" their tracks to go, because mostly because of the melted ice huge clouds of spray water were produced making visibility almost nil............

Edited by Jack

Some day in the future, some rich guy will acquire that engine for his L-29 resto and will be happy to get it.  It’s amazing how innovative a buncha mechs can be in the right environment.  From the photo, it looks like first class workmanship, although I suspect it’s a tad noisy.

18 hours ago, Tec182 said:

That will definitely get it done Pete! Always interesting to watch similar rigs working at race tracks, etc. I’ll never forget the night Juan Montoya got the first confirmed “jet kill” in NASCAR history. :blowup:

How many NASCAR drivers does it take to destroy a track drying rig? Just takes Juan.

I’ll see myself out.

Ben