F-16C Block 52 Exhaust

jwest21

I started a Tamiya F16C Block 52 build a while ago (kitbash between their Block 50 and Thunderbirds kits) but got hung up on the exhaust.  Is there any Block 52 exhaust available in that scale?  Even decals for the carbon fiber on the exhaust petals would work.  Aires has a Block 50/52 nozzle, but I was under the impression there were differences between the GE and Pratt=Whitney exhausts. IPMS/USA Detail Review: Aires 1/32 F-16C Block 50/52 Exhaust Nozzle for the Tamiya kit (ipmsusa.org)

Also, Procal has a decal set that seems to include the exhaust petals but I can't find a clear close up to see if they have the carbon fiber detail and are worth buying the entire decal set.

Any input or other suggestions are appreciated

Res kit makes a great F-16 P&W exhaust (open and closed - you’d want open I believe).  I know there are carbon fiber decals for model cars that may be suitable for use but I have no direct knowledge of any.  Pete Fleischmann will probably chime in; I believe he’s built a “2” F-16C and used decals for the carbon fiber exhaust.  I could be wrong on that; I’m gettin old and my “One-a-Day” vitamins aren’t working as well as they should…. Did someone mention Geritol?  I didn’t think so.

Edited by Juggernut

Reskit or KASL are both essentially the old P&W exhausts but they will get you very close. There are minor differences between the old P&W exhausts and the  F100-PW-229. Most noticeable is the carbon fibre texture of the petals (personally I have painted my way of of this and not used any decals). The old P&W exhausts also had two petal hinges whereas the 229 only has one. Otherwise I believe they are identical in shape and size.

The ProCal sheet does not include any carbon fibre texture decals - provided it is the F-16 stencil data sheet you are referring to. It does however include the "NO PUSH" / "NO STEP" decals. The 229 does not seem to have any decals on the petals themselves but only on the side of the "can"

zZPDlu.pngxvv40y.jpg

/Niels

1 hour ago, jwest21 said:

Nice set of decals there.  Makes me almost wish to turn my "future build" viper from a block 50 to a block 52 and put those decals on it.

Edited by Juggernut