Navy F9F Panther pilot shoots down 4 Soviet MiGs

Coming from a Navy family, I’ve heard rumors about this for years.  Happy it is confirmed and no longer mythology.  Can’t imagine - he must have been a busy dude.  Were it me back in the day who suddenly found himself all alone vs a bunch of hooligans, I believe there would have been a bit of unpleasantness in the ready room when I got back on the boat.  And the ultimate indignity of the bureaucrats giving his kills to non players!  Not sure I could have endured that gracefully.

3 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Deck log gives credit for one MiG. Something not right for sure...

True story, NSA kept it under wraps for years so they didn’t expand the war with Russia further.

And Royce Williams is a bada$$. Glad he’s finally being recognized. If you got the IPMS Nationals decal sheet, his Panther from this mission is on there, although 1/48th.

On 1/22/2023 at 5:56 AM, Oldbaldguy said:

Coming from a Navy family, I’ve heard rumors about this for years.  Happy it is confirmed and no longer mythology.  Can’t imagine - he must have been a busy dude.  Were it me back in the day who suddenly found himself all alone vs a bunch of hooligans, I believe there would have been a bit of unpleasantness in the ready room when I got back on the boat.  And the ultimate indignity of the bureaucrats giving his kills to non players!  Not sure I could have endured that gracefully.

Oh I'm quite sure of that! My uncle [ favorite uncle ] got jumped by 4 MiG -15s , he was flying an RB-26C! He made a call to the[ combat controller?] ' I've got 4 Migs cornered up here can someone give me a hand?" He made it back ok to Kimpo, not one hit on his plane YEEOW