Kawasaki Army Otsu-1 Reconnaissance Aircraft (Wingnut Wings Salmson 2-A2)

PlamoSnep

I plan on building Wingnut Wings Salmson 2-A2 kit as a Kawasaki Army Otsu-1 Reconnaissance Aircraft.  This will be my first biplane and my first Wingnut Wings kit, so no promises it will be finished on time.  Not looking forward to the rigging. :'3

D1YI02p.jpg

Type%20Otsu%20Model%201%20Reconnaissance

Japan imported several dozen Salmson 2-A2s after WWI.  A few years later Japan started producing their own Salmson 2-A2s, many by Kawasaki, and named them Army Otsu-1 Reconnaissance Aircraft.  There is an excellent Otsu replica at the Kakamigahara Aerospace Science Museum.  More pics can be found here: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Kawasaki_Army_Otsu-1_Reconnaissance_Aircraft_in_the_Kakamigahara_Aerospace_Science_Museum

Army_Otsu-1_Reconnaissance_Aircraft_(SalArmy_Otsu-1_Reconnaissance_Aircraft_(Sal

2 hours ago, Greif8 said:

Very cool and off the beaten path choice!  I have built several WNW kits and there have all been very enjoyable builds.  If you would like some tips about rigging them you can PM me.  I look forward to following your build!

Ernest 

I'll definitely DM you when I get to the rigging stage.  I bought some GasPatch turnbuckles, EZ line, and some thin brass tubing and sheet for the rigging.

On 1/18/2023 at 11:03 AM, PlamoSnep said:

I'll definitely DM you when I get to the rigging stage.  I bought some GasPatch turnbuckles, EZ line, and some thin brass tubing and sheet for the rigging.

Glad to help out where I can man!

Ernest

7 hours ago, steel_tiger said:

I had no idea this aircraft existed or that Wingnut had the kit. Fortunately Sprue Brothers still had it in stock. Mine should be here tomorrow.

Thanks

Tom

That's how I managed to get mine.  I was debating between this version and the USAS version, but ultimately decided on this version and picked up the USAS Camel also.

Probably not as nice a kit as my Doyusha Willow but I will give it a shot. :rofl:

It really was just an excuse to buy another Wingnut kit. I had a whole list of ones I was going to buy when SB got in the "last" shipment. But I couldn't justify it, WWI not really my thing, even though I did aquire 3 kit before the demise of Wingnut was announced.