I'm in with the classic Tamiya A6M5! (first timer!)

JeepsGunsTanks

I think this kit has been on my shelf for over 20 years. Time to build it, and the Tamiya -1 or -1A Corsair will be next.

All the paint, but the paint, I will paint the outside with is ordered. Not sure what brand I will do it with. Probably Tamiya stuff, but I kind of want to try the Ammo by Mig color set they do. 

IMG_3401-2600x1950.jpg

Haha I’ve had mine in the stash for about that long as well….I take it out and caress it now and then awaiting the confidence to try building it, I shall tune in to your build and enjoy the show!

maybe I’ll work up the nerve to build mine. But as long as it remains in the box in the stash it maintains its full potential.

2 minutes ago, chrish said:

Haha I’ve had mine in the stash for about that long as well….I take it out and caress it now and then awaiting the confidence to try building it, I shall tune in to your build and enjoy the show!

maybe I’ll work up the nerve to build mine. But as long as it remains in the box in the stash it maintains its full potential.

That's why I kept it when I got rid of the rest of my stash! It really seems like a very well done kit. I can't wait to try the gear out! It comes with grease! After dealing with Tank photo etch the stuff in this kit seems much more strait foreword. I think the only aftermarket thing I may get is masking I don't have to cut. When I get the Corsair, I may get some of those 3D decal things for the cockpit.   I'm going to place a pilot in this one and make it look like its in flight most of the time. 

I got a bit of a look from the wife at the cost of the paint. There isn't that much cross over between tanks and planes it seems. There is a fair amount between this kit and the Corsair kit so I have that going for me. 

The decals look pristine, so I think I'm going to build it as the based out of Rabaul. 

The Tamiya zero is a great kit but is a little gimmicky with movable control surfaces.  Word of caution….  Be extremely careful when you “play” with the landing gear.  They will break in spite of their seemingly robust construction.

My advice is to build the kit either gear up or gear down and leave it that way.  

I’ll be building the same kit.  I’ll be starting it in a day or two.  Mine’s not going to be a typical A6M5 though.  I have a placeholder for the build thread a few topics down.  As you’ve chosen to do, mine will be marked as part of the Rabaul Air Force as well.

Edited by Juggernut

I have this kit in the stash as well.  Having built the A6M2b a few years ago I think this kit will also be a fun build for you.  Tim (Juggernut) is right about the landing gear.  That and the decals were the only to areas that were not top rated on the A6M2b kit.  Looking forward to following your build.

Ernest

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly more progress. I keep trying to paint as much as I can on the sprue. I'm about ready to cut the two fuselage halves from the sprue, and add the little bits on. I did cut the little round part holds a little poly ring in place. 

IMG_3446-2600x1950.jpg

I got the prop paint started. It's the same color I'm using for the leather strapping and boots on the Tanks models, so when I paint those, I hit the prop. 

IMG_3445-2600x1950.jpg

I figured out, the paint you mix for one section of the tail, also will go other places and tried to use all that I mixed. 

IMG_3449-2600x1950.jpg

The Engine looks so neat! I can't wait to put it together. I'm not sure I'm going to add plug wires, not sure I can pull it off yet. Maybe if I get a set of reading glasses. 

IMG_3448-2600x1950.jpg

I had way less time this weekend than I had hoped, I'm going to try and put at least a half hour in each night durring the week. 

• 2 weeks later...