USAAF Beaufighter MkVIf

7 minutes ago, easixpedro said:

I've always wondered about the visibility.  How in the heck did the pilot see over / around those honking radials that extend forward?!  Flying form must've been an experience...

Had to be loud as hell too- parked between those two barking radials with nothing but a little aluminum and Perspex between you and them.

6 minutes ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Had to be loud as hell too-

I have to believe all these aircraft were loud as hell.  Just watched "Devotion" (I do not really recommend), and the scenes in the cockpit of the Corsairs suggest little to no noise.  ??  Oh well - cannot expect too much of a movie based on flying aircraft (although Top Gun 2 got me pretty excited...)

Edited by JayW

Short pipes, no mufflers, loooong props and no real hearing protection.  Must have been really painful til you started going deaf.  The closest I’ve ever come to that experience was a stripped Cessna 185 equipped with a Borer prop for skydiving ops.  Jumpers wore no hearing protection and when the guy pushed the throttle up, you could feel your eardrums meet in the middle of your head.  And that was maybe a fifth or less of the horsepower and racket you’d get out of a big radial or, worse, a Merlin.  Think of sitting through that for two or three hours at a pop.  Okay.  Back to Beaufighter pits.