How Lucky We Are

Grizly

2 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi Ade,

Why not using other glues such as epoxy or UV glues? Moreover, people would have a kind of CA intolerance typically react to the fumes whereas some varieties of CA glue do not release them. It may be useful for you to investigate a little bit as there are tons of different glue variants.

BR 

Thierry 

This is true, I could spend a small fortune in experimenting with the different glues that work with Resin. I have found that actually I can tolerate the newer ‘rubberised’ Cyano glues available from a few manufacturers but not for very long. I never used to have a problem with any of the glues but one day using some Zap medium it was like full on CS Gas grenade in the face. Skin reacted too. I’ve also found I can tolerate Gel type glues but find them not so much fun to work with. 

Well, do not spend time and money testing too many variants as CA glues without fumes are generally sold as such. You can also look for advices about 'non-fogging' glues on modelling forums. Moreover, you can limit its use to the smaller parts as everything else can be glued with other types. It is a fact some glues (and this can also extend to some epoxies) can release some nasty fumes... It looks that this problem is often worse with quick-setting glues.

Diverse subjects are steadily proliferating, largely thanks to resin and 3D. Most resin kits I've bought are good - incomparably better than the few vacu offerings I have tried. CA glues are not my favourite adhesives, but I'm learning to live with them. Also, I wear most PPE when building resin.

We chatter cheerfully about our desired subjects. Everybody has a wish list. Very healthy. What about the bottom line? Sales are key to the health and sustainability of the model aircraft industry. Kit customers are king, in my opinion, because they pay the piper. How long and how energetically those kings choose to dance, that is, in what ways they use their purchases, is their prerogative entirely, albeit LSP has had an educational bonus for me. 

I value choice. Within my limited budget, my choices of LSP kits are greater and more satisfying than ever before. How lucky are we indeed!

I'm widgoo Grizly.

Chris

1 hour ago, npb748r said:

Hang on, there needs to be some context on this, I wrote those comments. I was explaining that for some, it's not just about price but also about how some kits are over engineered and too detailed that put people off buying. I never said anything against large scale kits. 

For me, I don't like detailed builds, I like simple kits that I can add a bit of scratch building if I can and finish the kits in unusual colour schemes and countries - I have hardly any RAF and German depicted planes and not a single USA aircraft. 

We aren't all clones of one another. I also don't like soccer, or sport of any kind really, I'm not keen on fried food, I like women with black hair and dark skin, I don't enjoy watching films, I like to volunteer a day or two at a charity, I don't own a car, I like real ale and not lager.   I suspect I'm different to most people on this forum when it comes to how I live my life so why shouldn't that be the same when it comes to modelling. I fully respect and admire modellers who build bi-planes and can spend months detailing a build to look exactly like the real thing even though that's not what I like. I wouldn't say they are wrong though, just different. If you don't like or accept my difference then perhaps it's time for me to disappear, there are plenty more modelling forums I can be accepted on. 

I don’t see a single comment which is adverse to anything that you have said, so I’m a bit mystified. :D  The LSP forum and members are the most inclusive and friendly bunch that I’ve experienced anywhere, some real friendships have been forged here so I really don’t think that you should feel that your “different” approach to life in general, and modelling specifically is under attack, indeed I value individuality enormously, I always chose to “do my own thing” regardless. Rock on, and enjoy your Yak! :clap2:

5 minutes ago, mozart said:

I don’t see a single comment which is adverse to anything that you have said, so I’m a bit mystified. :D  The LSP forum and members are the most inclusive and friendly bunch that I’ve experienced anywhere, some real friendships have been forged here so I really don’t think that you should feel that your “different” approach to life in general, and modelling specifically is under attack, indeed I value individuality enormously, I always chose to “do my own thing” regardless. Rock on, and enjoy your Yak! :clap2:

I reacted to the people like to complain/I don't understand/scratching my head comments. I like one thing but I do understand and don't consider it complaining or have scratch my head when someone has the opposite view. If I have read too much into it and over reacted then I'm sorry.

11 minutes ago, npb748r said:

I reacted to the people like to complain/I don't understand/scratching my head comments. I like one thing but I do understand and don't consider it complaining or have scratch my head when someone has the opposite view. If I have read too much into it and over reacted then I'm sorry.

All’s fine my friend! :D

11 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

I use BSI superglue, which has little/no odour and is non-clouding. Might be worth a go.

just looked at these and there seems to be a few different ones luckily looks like they have a different colour for each type (gap filling, super thin, etc) which one do you use Sabrejet ?

7 minutes ago, npb748r said:

just looked at these and there seems to be a few different ones luckily looks like they have a different colour for each type (gap filling, super thin, etc) which one do you use Sabrejet ?

Super Gold. It's thin and does bond near-enough instantly.

2 hours ago, npb748r said:

We aren't all clones of one another. I also don't like soccer, or sport of any kind really, I'm not keen on fried food, I like women with black hair and dark skin, I don't enjoy watching films, I like to volunteer a day or two at a charity, I don't own a car, I like real ale and not lager.   I suspect I'm different to most people on this forum when it comes to how I live my life so why shouldn't that be the same when it comes to modelling. I fully respect and admire modellers who build bi-planes and can spend months detailing a build to look exactly like the real thing even though that's not what I like. I wouldn't say they are wrong though, just different. If you don't like or accept my difference then perhaps it's time for me to disappear, there are plenty more modelling forums I can be accepted on. 

No offence intended here: if it helps, I dislike soccer but love chips! I also have an aversion to Tamiya kits - the only kits I've ever thrown in the dustbin were Tamiya (Mosquito, Meteor and Ferrari FXX-K). I found them so boring to make that I lost the will to carry on. In fact I gave the Meteor to my nephew but the other two were trashed. Give me a nice vac-form or a resin kit any day.

But for me it's about the 'modelling' - when I finish a model it's usually stored away because I've done the interesting bit. But I also understand that for many, it's about the finished model, not the modelling. Horses for courses. 

22 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

No offence intended here: if it helps, I dislike soccer but love chips! I also have an aversion to Tamiya kits - the only kits I've ever thrown in the dustbin were Tamiya (Mosquito, Meteor and Ferrari FXX-K). I found them so boring to make that I lost the will to carry on. In fact I gave the Meteor to my nephew but the other two were trashed. Give me a nice vac-form or a resin kit any day.

But for me it's about the 'modelling' - when I finish a model it's usually stored away because I've done the interesting bit. But I also understand that for many, it's about the finished model, not the modelling. Horses for courses. 

Your last part here is interesting as I have a friend who worries that he builds more than he finishes. Does more kit starts and then returns them to the box than finishes too.

I reassured him that actually it seems to be quite a normal for a lot of builders out there during conversations with fellow modellers.

Perhaps its the next shiny new thing that attracts? Either way as long as you enjoy what your doing does it really matter? Lots of parts versus little amounts of parts doesn't seem to matter in most cases it seems.

15 minutes ago, Royboy said:

Your last part here is interesting as I have a friend who worries that he builds more than he finishes. Does more kit starts and then returns them to the box than finishes too.

I reassured him that actually it seems to be quite a normal for a lot of builders out there during conversations with fellow modellers.

Perhaps its the next shiny new thing that attracts? Either way as long as you enjoy what your doing does it really matter? Lots of parts versus little amounts of parts doesn't seem to matter in most cases it seems.

I'm like that, my personality type is definitely not a completer finisher. I like change, new things, I get bored easily - hence my inability to consider building a Tamiya or ZM kit, I know I will get bored and not finishing it whereas I can buy 5  simple kits for the same money and most likely finish 3 of them.  Like Sabrejet, my pleasure is in the building, the completed kit will end up in the bin after a few years.

28 minutes ago, Royboy said:

My absolute - absolute - favourite part of modelling is cleaning-up resin parts. I've got many kits in the stash and have to avoid the temptation to start all of them (but not finish). I've also got a large number that I've opened, cleaned up all the resin parts and put them back away. I think the maxim for all of us should be, "SO LONG AS YOU ENJOY IT, IT'S OK" (this is only applicable to scale modelling).