Alternative to Maskol ?

red Dog

Happy New year everyone.

I just discovered this morning that once again my maskol bottle I bought not so long ago turned solid and is useless

It is unfortunately not the first time but rather the third time in a row although all bottles were closed correctly

What is strange is that in the distant past I never had that issue and could store maskol bottles for years

I feel it is not the case anymore

So I need to source liquid mask and I want to try something else to see if I can avoid the above issue

Any recommendation? I never actually used anything else than maskol over the years but like the humbrol paint I feel something has changed in their formula and it is not for the best

Let me know what you guys use :)

Happy New Year to you too.

I had the same problem with Maskol.  I tried Vallejo masking fluid and it has been fine. Have had it for around 4 years now and had no drying out or solidifying, except for a tiny amount around the screw cap thread. I would definitely use it again.

Nig

I had the same issue with mig version, what i did is add water to the bottle and shook it violently, came back works like new, i often add water to it. 

Ive had a bottle of Microscale Micro Mask for years works great but its allot thicker making it perfect for large surfaces but harder for small details

Thank you all for your input. I think I'll try the Mr Masking Sol R next.

To avoid killing your brush, you guys are aware of these? 

A10C_popup_083.png

I actually never use brush to apply maskol, I rather use the above rubber pencils. great to apply and easy to clean

Ive actually had a lot of experience with this kind of thing as of late.....

I have been doing a lot of intricate masking for some landscaping and SiFi projects Ive been working on.  Ive found there are basically two types of liquid mask type fluids available that I have used.

1. There is the Mr. Hobby type liquid masks, Like Mr Masking Sol R, and my personal preference, Mr Masking Sol NEO. It works like the R does, but I seem to have better luck with removing it, and it seems to cover better than the Sol R does when a minimal layer is used:

1_7bf36d11-40d1-4ae5-8baf-d9ae7814b281_9

2. The second type of liquid mask I have found is the type like MicroScale makes, "Micro Mask":

micro_mask_liquid_masking_tape_460-110.g

The main difference I have found with this one, is that is does not "roll" or peel off your work as easily, and is not as easily dislodged from your work. However, it I have found it basically does go back soft with the addition of a little bit of water.

Although Mr Masking Sol NEO is my go to liquid mask, it might be useful to pick up some of the MicroScale stuff too, as I have found uses for it, where you want masking but cant really get to it to remove it as easy, and water seems to do a nice job of that.

I've been using the Revell Color Stop stuff for several years, still works as good. My LHS does not order any new Maskol because they kept getting compaints about it drying out. FWIW the Revell stuff comes with one of those caps-with-integrated brushes.

One drawback: it is not coloured so after it's dry it may be hard to see where it was applied.

Jeroen

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 1:25 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Ive actually had a lot of experience with this kind of thing as of late.....

I have been doing a lot of intricate masking for some landscaping and SiFi projects Ive been working on.  Ive found there are basically two types of liquid mask type fluids available that I have used.

1. There is the Mr. Hobby type liquid masks, Like Mr Masking Sol R, and my personal preference, Mr Masking Sol NEO. It works like the R does, but I seem to have better luck with removing it, and it seems to cover better than the Sol R does when a minimal layer is used:

1_7bf36d11-40d1-4ae5-8baf-d9ae7814b281_9

2. The second type of liquid mask I have found is the type like MicroScale makes, "Micro Mask":

micro_mask_liquid_masking_tape_460-110.g

The main difference I have found with this one, is that is does not "roll" or peel off your work as easily, and is not as easily dislodged from your work. However, it I have found it basically does go back soft with the addition of a little bit of water.

Although Mr Masking Sol NEO is my go to liquid mask, it might be useful to pick up some of the MicroScale stuff too, as I have found uses for it, where you want masking but cant really get to it to remove it as easy, and water seems to do a nice job of that.

Ive been trying to figure out the difference between the 2 mr solr and neo there is literally 0 information about the diff drive me nuts

2 minutes ago, Neo said:

Ive been trying to figure out the difference between the 2 mr solr and neo there is literally 0 information about the diff drive me nuts

I to have been wondering this and from what I have learnt the neo is thicker than the r, I have just purchased a bottle of neo and it is thick. Cheers.

25 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Actually, having used different species of such products I'm suspecting most if not all of them are just colored latex...

So true BUT… what really matters is the way use them, how you apply them, why you’re using them instead of masking tape, how fast they dry, etc.

For all these reasons, the viscosity/thickness factor is essential to make your choice.

In my case, I started years ago with Humbrol Maskol like everybody else. Nowadays I have these two products:

B2-F60929-BB23-4-DA9-89-FE-B70-CA8-DD3-B

My go-to is the Liquid Mask by Vallejo (I rarely touch the Masking Sol Neo which to me is too thick and difficult to apply with precision).

For use, I put a drop of Liquid Mask on a piece of masking tape and apply it with the tip of a toothpick.

HTH

Quang