I'll jump in.. 1/32 Hasegawa A6m5 Zero Type 52

hworth18

I added the wings and rear stabilizers, but progress slowed down with the canopy as it always seems to do. Luckily the Eduard canopy mask #JX-194 came to the rescue and was a perfect fit for the new tool Zero kit. The pics probably don't reflect the fit of this kit, but it really is excellent.

52643904765_a431559ddb_b.jpg 52643904770_23dce4495d_b.jpg 52642958977_51b6e39a34_b.jpg

7 hours ago, Greif8 said:

Nice progress!  I almost always use masks to cover my canopies and they have become almost a must for my builds.

Ernest

Thanks!! I am using masks more and more as my skill with an exacto knife and my patience isn't very good anymore. Shaky hands and failing eyes are my worst enemies to the extent that I've given up on ever doing small PE again.

Edited by hworth18

Thanks guys, I'm doing a little experimentation on the paint wear. I sprayed the high wear areas aluminum, then sprayed just enough in some of those spots to give it a "lightly worn" look with the silver showing thru. Just trying it out, so nothing set in stone yet. I prefer my models have a "few missions flown" look to them rather than brand new or completely weathered. I guess I'll see how this turns out.

Edited by hworth18

10 hours ago, mywifehatesmodels said:

Looking great so far! 

I'll be watching with interest, as I just had a Hasegawa A6M5c arrive today. Actually, this GB struck a tone for me and I'm rounding out my Japanese lineup of kits to build (among everything else!).:lol:

Cheers,

John

I have the George in my stash to build and I just may pop that one out next. May I ask where you get the profile/plans for the rivets? I see all these great builders riveting their models and I would have absolutely no idea where to start.

5 minutes ago, hworth18 said:

May I ask where you get the profile/plans for the rivets? I see all these great builders riveting their models and I would have absolutely no idea where to start.

Well, one source is books similar to this one. There are actually 10 books in the series and another series of 4 books which include some of the drawings in the 10 book series.

W.W.II Fighters 1/48 Aircraft Design With Precision Drawing M. Minoru Book | eBay

Search for "Design for Presision". This particular book contains drawings for the A6M5. I'm not the seller nor am I connected with the seller. You could PM yours truly with an email address, etc. :rolleyes: I've been into 3D modeling for quite a few years and have purchased a lot of books containing drawings.

There are other books from Mushroom Models Publications, Kagero, etc. too.

Of course, my interpretation of the rivets shown on these drawings are that they are just someone else's thoughts on where rivets would be.

Dave