Hasegawa Ki-61 Hei

Alain Gadbois

Alain, the chutes could indeed be opened up, or simply fill in with black paint, seeing as it's on the undersides anyway. Few pics show the undersides of the Ki-61-I Hei well, but this is one that does and it happens to be of #88 in its spring 1945 camouflage pattern! Like many 244th Sentai machines, it was camouflaged in the summer of 1944, stripped in the winter and re-camouflaged in the spring of '45.

ERXMSSgUUAAvOhY.jpg

The droptanks are Yellow-Green #7, by the way. The best match for this is AK RC330. Leading edges in typical orange-yellow and the 88 on the wheeldoor is red with white piping.

Now about that venturi of #88, after some digging I must conclude that two types of venturi tubes were tested on it.

One type is this small tube (5" long), which is generally used as a pilot relief tube(!) and mounted in reverse!

Ki-61-I_Hei_88_venturi_small.png

(Note the cowling stencils, one of the few stencils that remained as all others were wiped off with the winter camouflage removal.)

Here is a modern day application as a relief tube.

141362791_ReliefVenturiinMooney.jpg.b027

The more common 10" venturi was also tested on #88 as evident from this shot. I'm trying to find out which one was the latter application, but I put my money on this one seeing as other 244th Sentai machines have it too, and it has a better performance:

Ki-61-I_Hei_88_venturi_large.png

Edited by Skyraider3D
Updated info on #88 venturi tube usage.

1 hour ago, Skyraider3D said:

Excellent! You're probably one of the very first modellers to do so too :clap2:

Now is this round hatch just a circular inspection panel that covered the ammunition/gun and needed to be removed to have a look inside or was this like the early A6M's that had the circular window where the ground crew could see the ammunition or just an open hole?

Hi all!

A bit more done in the last few days.
Looking at references, I added mostly cables to the kit parts. One bundle going aft on the right side isn’t glued in place as it would interfere with the rear bulkhead. It will slipped in after this part is glued in place, when all painting is done.

1osAr0J.jpg

Also, the ejector chutes are boxed in and the upper wing painted black.

mSzDVM3.jpg

Also now thinking of riveting the model, as they are quite visible in the photos of the bare metal aircraft.

Thanks for watching!

Edited by Alain Gadbois

On 1/9/2023 at 3:55 AM, Greif8 said:

Nice scribing work Alain.

Ernest

Thanks, I only had two circles to scribe, but the second one was way of center so I filled with CA and repeated the operation with tape holding the template in place. Waited until yesterday to do that, as I had some apprehensions about messing up a second time! Now I pretty certain I’ll br riveting the kit so I will be planning with extra care to do a nice job.

On 1/9/2023 at 9:14 AM, Skyraider3D said:

Excellent! You're probably one of the very first modellers to do so too :clap2:

And again, thanks for the photos!

Alain

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 5:03 PM, Juggernut said:

Now is this round hatch just a circular inspection panel that covered the ammunition/gun and needed to be removed to have a look inside or was this like the early A6M's that had the circular window where the ground crew could see the ammunition or just an open hole?

In many pictures it's not visible, so it's an aluminium hatch for sure and not a viewport. I think it may have been used for sighting the guns (adjusting converging and elevation), rather than actual maintenance.

1 hour ago, Greif8 said:

That is some really nice scratch building in the cockpit Alain.

Ernest

Thank you! The kit parts offer an excellent base to ad the amount of detail one feels like. I have the Japanese Cockpit Interiors book which has great photos. Just have to be careful that these were taken of a captured example and some modifications were done before being flown by US pilots.

Alain

• 3 months later...

Rivets…………!

A good photo provided the info needed to rivet the fuselage sides.

5ibt3Aj.jpg

I made a template to add the curved rivet line marked with a pencil line.

vlipiew.jpg

The finished left wing shows the much better effect with the rivets.
vtEIhCt.jpg

Bye for now, 

Alain

Edited by Alain Gadbois