Airfix 1/24 F6F-5 Hellcat

STM

7 hours ago, Bill Bunting said:

May I ask what Tamiya colours you are using for the interior / bronze green in the cockpit?

Thanks !

I am not using Tamiya, I am using Vallejo acrylics. The yellow zinc chromate is testors enamel in the small bottle. The F6F-5 cockpit was not bronze green, it was interior green. 

Edited by STM

42 minutes ago, STM said:

I am not using Tamiya, I am using Vallejo acrylics. The yellow zinc chromate is testors enamel in the small bottle. The F6F-5 cockpit was not bronze green, it was interior green. 

Sorry but you had said the PE panel matched the Tamiya green earlier. I used the term bronze green to clarify not the yellow green.

Edited by Bill Bunting

On 2/25/2023 at 4:39 PM, Bill Bunting said:

Sorry but you had said the PE panel matched the Tamiya green earlier. I used the term bronze green to clarify not the yellow green.

Bronze Green, Bell Green, Interior Green, Green Zinc Chromate and Yellow Zinc Chromate are all very different colors used by various manufacturers at varying times on various aircraft. You might want to familiarize yourself with each of them so you don't confuse them. 

Edited by STM

Work on the engine has begun in earnest. The first thing I did was make some attachment collars to go around each cylinder. In this large a scale, their absence is noticeable. I made a couple of careful measurements and with a little trigonometry (I hate math but I have to admit that sometimes it comes in handy) made some circles out of 0.010 styrene sheet. I then used my "The Chopper", one of the handiest of all modeling tools I have ever come across, to cut off 0.015" thick sections of 0.030 styrene hex rod to make the nuts. The actual collars had around 20 nuts per collar but there is no point in losing my mind over that. Even at 12 per collar, that would be over 200 of them for all 18 cylinders.  So I made 5 collars and attached them to some 0.040" styrene sheet and will cast them. Once cast I will remove them from the block with a large X-Acto chisel, make a cut in them to for a "split ring" and slip them around the base of each cylinder. 

Cylinder%20collars.jpg

Edited by STM

• 3 weeks later...

With the collars complete, I moved onto the engine itself. The propeller governor was pretty basic. The two areas of the model which are the areas of greatest interest are the cockpit and engine, especially if it is a radial engine. I started with the front of the engine and will work backwards. The propeller governor is pretty basic. I found an excellent photo of one so it formed the basis of the work. This was 6 hours worth of scratchbuilding. The cooling fins are pieces of 0.005" styrene sheet. The propeller shaft was solid, though it should be hollow and the splines to hold the propeller were flush with the sides of the shaft, which of course would do no good. I drilled out the center of the shaft, drilled 8 holes around the top and added a piece of 0.010" x 0.020" styrene strip to build up the splines. There is a hexagonal nut at the center of the spinner so I drilled out the rod in the center and replaced it with a piece of 0.040" styrene hex rod. I also added 0.010" rod to simulate the "bolts" to the nuts that are holding the spinner halves together. 

Governor%20prop%20shaft.jpg

Edited by STM

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

Scott how did you arrive at the black sidewall color 1/2 way up?

What sidewall are you referring to? If you are talking about the right cockpit side, that is not black, just in shadow. 

12 hours ago, STM said:

What sidewall are you referring to? If you are talking about the right cockpit side, that is not black, just in shadow. 

Holy cow you are right, I will show myself to the door. :)

• 3 weeks later...