Figure Painting Tutorial

Greif8

That's really something!
Impressive!
Quite a technical mastery because I find that the contrasts of material between the skin of the face, the leather jacket and the fabric cap are really very well realized.
I don't know how to say it, but you really "feel" the different textures. 
Well, I really learn something new every day on this forum, thanks to you!

Edited by Furie

Thank you for the compliment Denis!  I used both acrylic and oil paints to paint the bust.  Oil paints dry with a nice satin sheen and therefore are a very good choice when painting flesh or leather.  Oils also allow you to achieve very subtle transitions between shades as they blend well.  Acrylics dry fairly flat for the most part and are good for painting clothing items that do not have much or any shine to them.  Believe it or not the most challenging part about painting the bust was getting the blue part of the Pour le Merite to look like the blue enamel finish of the real thing.  After some testing a decided on a medium blue color and then carefully painted Tamiya Transparent Blue over that.  Though not perfect, it looks the part.

Ernest 

16 hours ago, mozart said:

Ernest, my apologies! I have taken my eye off the ball regarding your excellent and informative figure painting tutorials, however having just read through the von Richthofen figure in particular I can see several points that I will need to note in my next figure, which isn’t a million miles away. Thanks my friend. :thumbsup:

You are very welcome Max!  If you have any questions when the time comes for your figure feel free to PM me anytime.

Ernest