Hasegawa Nakajima Ki-44 Tojo

Gazzas

1 hour ago, Gazzas said:

now, wtf do I do with all of this shiny tape?

It might not be completely wasted, Gaz. In the photo below, which I realise is not completely clear, I used this kind of tape to form the fairing (on the rudder) for the trim tab actuator:

2QWFTT.jpg

Haven't used it since, mind you, but that's more to do with how little modelling I do these days, than anything else.

Kev

2 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

It might not be completely wasted, Gaz. In the photo below, which I realise is not completely clear, I used this kind of tape to form the fairing (on the rudder) for the trim tab actuator:

2QWFTT.jpg

Haven't used it since, mind you, but that's more to do with how little modelling I do these days, than anything else.

Kev

Thank you for that, Kev!  A great idea as it is much stickier than my usual foil.  I'm trying some other stuff with it, too.  But at least now I have at least one reason not to bin it.

• 2 weeks later...

IN the limited time I have had to devote to this model, I've foiled most of the cowl.  Each panel is a complex shape requiring many tiny little strokes...

IMG_1733.thumb.JPG.066caea698551e724d56a

I'm waiting on some plastic tube to allow me to add the new guns...   more on that in the future....

I have polished the cowl with aluminum polish bought at a car parts store...   the same stuff used to polish aluminum rims....

IMG_1734.thumb.JPG.4137cdde1d351d5157eaa

The first roll of foil I ever used on a model seemed so superior to every roll I have used since.  Either that, or I have lost my touch.

I will have to do each cowl flap separately.  But they won't be very difficult as they aren't complex shapes.

IMG_1732.thumb.JPG.843384f643193d592b410

If you're one of those guys who have to paint the interior of your cowls and get all of that hidden stuff painted up and weathered nicely...   perhaps foil isn't for you.

IMG_1736.thumb.JPG.ea950e2fb80c5de726422

Overlap is very important.  The cement you are using is only a form of white glue with dubious strength.  You can trim off some of these bits later just before you add them to the rest of the model.  But you don;t want to be lifting the edges...   it's just more stuff to fix.

That looks really nice! I've used stretchable foam-backed vinyl to make door cards for my camper van conversion, those overlaps remind me of that... everywhere where I had too little overlap that stuff would come off or it would have bubbles in it.

Sharp work, although I can see it's not something I would have fun doing myself... ;)

That cowling looks stunning! Really, really nice.

Now on the topic of trim tab actuators... every single kit of the Ki-44 has omitted the elevator trim tab actuator, as has just about every drawing. But the Ki-44 definitely had them, so they will need to be scratch built. Turns out it's just about impossible to find a decent picture of one. I've compiled a few of the least-unclear pics I could find. Best look at Ki-43s to get the idea, as that one has a pretty similar setup.

ki-44_elevator_trim_tab_actuator.png

Edited by Skyraider3D

7 hours ago, jeroen_R90S said:

That looks really nice! I've used stretchable foam-backed vinyl to make door cards for my camper van conversion, those overlaps remind me of that... everywhere where I had too little overlap that stuff would come off or it would have bubbles in it.

Sharp work, although I can see it's not something I would have fun doing myself... ;)

Thank you.  It's really not so difficult once you accept that you will have to do some panels multiple times.  And the cost is actually pretty cheap.

4 hours ago, Skyraider3D said:

That cowling looks stunning! Really, really nice.

Now on the topic of trim tab actuators... every single kit of the Ki-44 has omitted the elevator trim tab actuator, as has just about every drawing. But the Ki-44 definitely had them, so they will need to be scratch built. Turns out it's just about impossible to find a decent picture of one. I've compiled a few of the least-unclear pics I could find. Best look at Ki-43s to get the idea, as that one has a pretty similar setup.

ki-44_elevator_trim_tab_actuator.png

Thank you!  It's such a tiny detail, I can't even see it other than a tiny black triangle shape.  And I don't imagine it will be seen once the model is built.  There is so much seemingly unknown about this aircraft.  I wonder if a full set of factory drawings exist in some dusty archive.  The trim tab is much further out in the center of each elevator...  I wonder how that setup actually works.

58 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

It's such a tiny detail, I can't even see it other than a tiny black triangle shape.

It's a bit more than a tiny triangle, but it was indeed painted black! :)

Here is the same thing on a Ki-43. I hope this clarifies things and confirms it's hopefully worth adding.

NB. On the Ki-44 the triangle is usually standing proud, so I think it was connected to the middle or upper of the three holes.

ki-43_elevator_trim_tab_actuator.jpg

Edited by Skyraider3D