Oh the Humanity! Threw Some Built Kits Away

Greif8

19 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Ernest 

There are SO many military and aircraft museums that you could donate the built kits too.

Bavaria Military Museums - Tripadvisor
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g187293-Activities-c49-t32-Bavaria.html

I've been to one or two and they are pretty great.

And how about donating the boxed kits to the Local  modelling clubs or to schools(arts classes teachers would surely have enthusiasm  for aircraft building .. it has painting,  structure etc and kids would love it).

Or to local Library with "please take one and build it and enjoy" note with their permission!!

:whistle:

Or selling the boxed kits to your local hobby store..

We have KINGKIT Models  who sells pre owned  etc kits and also buys your stash for cash, but not sure they would go into Europe.  they are based in Telford ..

Sorry that you have to get rid of them... throwing  them away will be a heart wrenching  moment!!

What a dilemma  you  have gotten on your hands!!

MARU5137.

Edit:

OR SELL THEM HERE !!

Thank you for your comments Maru!  The two museums that are closest to me have both expressed no interest in in displaying models.  As to my stash of kits, I plan to build those; and might just be able to as my stash is not that large.  Also, German society is pretty pacifist in its general outlook and offering to give kits military models to kids would not be positively recieved by most people.  

Ernest

17 hours ago, John Stambaugh said:

In the event of my passing I have instructed my wife to offer my stash to sell on this site. All of the kits have a price list showing my estimated value including any AM within box. 

As I would want these kits to go to good homes, Julie understands that LSP members are preferred and receive better than market prices. 

As far as completed models, I would hope that close friends and family would give some a home. 

Enough of my mellow drama, HAPPY MODELING!

i thought about that, but no way in hell would I put the burden of sorting through and shipping 300 kits, AM, decals, etc. on a family member.  I’ve told her and shown her there are some very valuable kits and aftermarket items if I don’t build them before I die.  
I gave her the contact info to a few dealers within a state or two from us to call them first.  Let them pick it all up and just mail her a check for a fair value after they sort through it all.

Hell, she can work a 24 hour freelance shift at the hospital and make twice what they would offer, so it’s about clearing out my crap to make room for her next husband, not financial.  I just want it to end up with someone that will appreciate them and build them, not bulldozed into the county landfill.

FWIW, I gave her contact info to Squadron and Hobby Nut models since their ads show they sell off used collection kits and decals. Both are close enough to make it worth their time. 

Edited by ScottsGT

24 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

i thought about that, but no way in hell would I put the burden of sorting through and shipping 300 kits, AM, decals, etc. on a family member.  I’ve told her and shown her there are some very valuable kits and aftermarket items if I don’t build them before I die.  
I gave her the contact info to a few dealers within a state or two from us to call them first.  Let them pick it all up and just mail her a check for a fair value after they sort through it all.

Hell, she can work a 24 hour freelance shift at the hospital and make twice what they would offer, so it’s about clearing out my crap to make room for her next husband, not financial.  I just want it to end up with someone that will appreciate them and build them, not bulldozed into the county landfill.

FWIW, I gave her contact info to Squadron and Hobby Nut models since their ads show they sell off used collection kits and decals. Both are close enough to make it worth their time. 

Disappointing that 300 kits etc. would not equal in dollars one days pay for your wife. I suppose she is very very well paid.

On 12/3/2022 at 3:41 PM, Oldbaldguy said:

Well away from my house:  Playgrounds, park benches, on top of my trash bin at the curb - pretty much anywhere somebody might find them.  The options and possibilities are endless.

I do this too, having left a bicycle out last time with the label "freecycle".  

I have some 1/35 stuff (Zil 157 tractor & trailer with SA-2, SA-2 on a launcher, ZSU-23/4 and SA-9 AFV) which is mostly going to get the black bag heave-ho.  I might keep the SA-2 on the launcher as it still looks slightly menacing.

There's also two unmade 1/72 first-generation Hasegawa F-4Es which are basically so crap by modern standards that I don't even have the heart to sell. But binning them seems wasteful. 

As for the big Rymans box full of 1/32 Noxie gear that's unlikely ever to be built, I may just put it in the attic (which is my place where things disappear from my mind. And stay where they are if I move home).

But I build to collect, or will when I can resume 1/32 and 1/48 next year. So want keepers for the most part. 

Tony 

9 hours ago, John Stambaugh said:

Disappointing that 300 kits etc. would not equal in dollars one days pay for your wife. I suppose she is very very well paid.

Extremely.  She passes gas professionally.  CRNA.  
(I was actually thinking of one of her freelance 24 hour shifts.  Makes more in 24 hours than I did for a months pay before I retired)

Edited by ScottsGT

On 12/3/2022 at 9:41 AM, Oldbaldguy said:

Well away from my house:  Playgrounds, park benches, on top of my trash bin at the curb - pretty much anywhere somebody might find them.  The options and possibilities are endless.

This is genius! Kinda embarrassed I didn’t think of that myself-

I typically blow them up in one last final spectacular flourish of exploding styrene. The kids always loved it.

I did have a 1/48 Mirage III that I threw like a paper airplane. It actually flew- It flew the most beautiful barrel roll down the length of my driveway and exploded on impact. I stood there dumbfounded for a minute or two. “Hmm. Didn’t see that coming “

P

Hmmm there is a Christmas raffle going on. Some number of model builders I bet could use an unbuilt kit or two.  If they are younger people then the kits will stay out of the landfill a few more years.

my built vac kits all eventually end up in the bin after a tour of duty as a air brush testing mule.  (The Echelon Lightning kit not). They are basically scratch building, skill building tools.  Most of my started kits are not done yet so no display worries.

I will start selling off my “collector kits” and then my doubles in a month or two.  Let the older guy stash reduction begin. 

I don't have a stash to worry about, but I do have a few built models i care about. My mother in law once asked 'how much are they worth?' so she clearly has plans... and worse my wife once said my 1/18 Spitfire XIV which took 2 years to make would look good as a lampshade with a light bulb hanging out of the bottom of it....

I will be glad I am gone so I don't witness the carnage..

Peter

8 hours ago, airscale said:

I don't have a stash to worry about, but I do have a few built models i care about. My mother in law once asked 'how much are they worth?' so she clearly has plans... and worse my wife once said my 1/18 Spitfire XIV which took 2 years to make would look good as a lampshade with a light bulb hanging out of the bottom of it....

Peter

I’ve told my wife if I go first and she bins them I’m going to haunt her. She made a cuff comment that I do that already, not sure what she meant:hmmm:

9 hours ago, airscale said:

Peter

I’ll send you my details so you can include me in your Will…..oh hang on, I think I’m considerably older than you are Peter, so perhaps not!:(

I don't cherish most of my built models, but when disposing of them I revert to a 12 year old version of myself - I attach them to my rotary clothes line, add a little bit of special bang powder to them, fuses of various lengths, spin them around and watch the "dogfight".

(You can tell that I've never had children of my own, so I compensate by remaining a child :) )