Oh the Humanity! Threw Some Built Kits Away

Greif8

As the threat title states, I threw several built models away yesterday.  Among the victims were several 1/48 scale builds that I had done in the past, a couple of 1/32 scale aircraft and a 1/72 scale Uboat.  My wife was shocked when she saw me placing the models in a large garbage bag for disposal and asked why I was doing so.  Good question!  She made me look at why I had/have decided on the route I took and below is a bit of an explanation of my reasoning.  It would be interesting to hear what others think about my thoughts and how the situation would apply to them if/when the time comes.  

I explained to her that no one on our family was interested in recieving one or more of the models to display in their respective homes; which is just fine by the way, I completely understand that I am in a minority of one when it comes to modelling in all its aspects.  She countered by telling me that I have sold built models in the past and she knows that others have expressed interest in buying some of my stuff.  What she said is true enough, and I told her I did not go that route for two reasons.  First, I did not feel that the models, while of decent quality, were up to the standard that I would feel comfortable with putting them up for sell.  The second reason will be very familiar with those of you who have sold builds, that is - preparing them for shipping and than keeping your fingers crossed that all the effort you put into packing the model(s) will allow them to arrive at their new owner(s) in undamaged, or at least with very minor damage.   

To be brutally honest, most of all with myself, I did not believe the quality of the finished models was worth the effort.  I had to laugh when my wife, she of little to no interest in my hobby, rather strongly disagreed.  Reflecting on our conversation about the above later made me think about what I am going to do when the time comes in the future to again clear space in my display cases.  The majority of models are of the quality that I would be comfortable selling; however some of the such as the WNW WWI aircraft are far too fragile - in my opinion at least - to be able to pack well enough to avoid major damage or destruction during shipping.  Two models that I sold and shipped in the past suffered significant damage or total destruction though they were very well packed, double boxed, secured in a way nothing fragile was under stress, marked as Fragile on all sides of the box, etc,.  Even though both models were well insured, the issues they brought up have been very off putting to me. 

With all the above in mind I have reached, what to some might be an unthinkable conclusion.  The ships and most armor will probably be sold.  Given how their shapes tend to make them more robust - in most cases - and easier to pack in a way that greatly reduces the risk of damage that seems to be worth the effort.  Sadly, most of my LSP aircraft do not fall into that catagory and will probably end up in the trash.  Painful to be sure, but I got the pleasure of building them and will still have many photos to remind me of them.   It is what it is, as the saying goes.         

I’ve thrown away a lot of models. It’s part of my journey. It’s not all that logical. My modeling buddy never throws away his stuff away (he has models from the 70s!) but he also tends to have huge dry spells and builds like a snail,  so I think it’s somehow healthy to “burn down the forest” and plant new! 

That said, most of these took about 10 hours of work or less. My new world is hundreds of hours. These go to the grandkids. 

1 hour ago, Panzerwomble said:

In all honesty I tend to agree , I like building but not collecting. My stuff gets sold  and occasionally binned . Some get used as paint or other mules and then binned. It’s only plastic

Thank you for the insights man, pretty much my view as well!  Though if I should be able to find a buyer for my WNW builds that is willing to meet me halfway for a personal delivery I am willing to do that.  You build high quality models; I have seen some of them when you posted them for sale, and those are worth the effort and risk to ship to a buyer.

Ernest 

30 minutes ago, Jim Barry said:

I’ve thrown away a lot of models. It’s part of my journey. It’s not all that logical. My modeling buddy never throws away his stuff away (he has models from the 70s!) but he also tends to have huge dry spells and builds like a snail,  so I think it’s somehow healthy to “burn down the forest” and plant new! 

That said, most of these took about 10 hours of work or less. My new world is hundreds of hours. These go to the grandkids. 

Thank you for your comments Jim!  I tend to agree with you.  The only exceptions would be some of my builds that I consider in the top 10%.  Those will probably only be trashed when I am gone.

Ernest 

Just now, Shoggz said:

If I am to have any chance of displaying any of my LSPs effectively, then a serious number of 1/48 aircraft will be joining yours in model kit Heaven!

Hi Richard, it is a bit sad that we are forced to dispose of some of our built models due to space issues.  Someday, when my children are grown and gone, I plan to turn one of their former bedrooms into a display room - if I can get the Minister of Interior - also known as my wife, to agree! 

Ernest 

3 hours ago, Greif8 said:

To be brutally honest, most of all with myself, I did not believe the quality of the finished models was worth the effort.  I had to laugh when my wife, she of little to no interest in my hobby, rather strongly disagreed.  

We were having lunch in a local pub yesterday with some friends and the conversation had turned to hobbies. The other couple know that I’m a painter and modeller, but I nearly choked on my lasagne and knocked over my pint of Doom Bar when my wife described my recent Gauntlet as “beautiful”……she wouldn’t know a Sopwith Camel from an Airbus 380 by the way. Just goes to show Ernest, our better halves do take notice! 

19 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

Hi Ernest, quite a thought provoking topic. 

Is there no military/air museum local to you that you could donate your models to?

Yes indeed, it is thought provoking and something I've done more than once.  Some have gone in the bin; some to the grandchildren when younger (the record - 10 seconds from gift to loss of air brake and other bits); and I'm fortunate to live in a "museum-rich" environment so a number have gone to such places.  But I expect that when I shuffle off this mortal coil they'll mostly go in the bin.

Most of us of an age are wondering the same thing:  What happens to all this stuff at the end of my operational life cycle?  I think the donation-to-museums idea is a bit trite and unrealistic - museums have enough junk already and people pay good money to ogle the real thing, not a pile of plastic that most equate to something their kids built.  So, for most of us, donations are out.  Gifting built models tends to be impractical because few friends and family actually want our built kits to the point that they become white elephants over time, taking up space and becoming ratty as they age, a shrine to us but of little interest.  So giving them away is out as well.  That narrows our options to, as mentioned here, large trash bags or leaving them for someone else to worry about.  The latter is the easy way out and, for me, the bin is a little too passive/aggressive.  While I once thought death by pellet gun to be an honorable end for any of my kits, nowadays I leave them to chance.  When it becomes time to retire a kit, I simply leave it to its fate somewhere, out in the open in a place where it shouldn’t be.  Been doing this for years and they always disappear, never to be seen again.  I’m pretty sure the model fairies take them.

Although I can certainly understand your reasoning; I am far too sentimental and attached to see them destroyed. 

Everyone's situation is different and I am lucky that I have ample display cases. The bigger question for me is happens to them after I am gone.

What an interesting thread. I have taken to leaving mine displayed until the shelf is full or the kits have been sitting for 1 year, which ever comes first.  I then trash them unceremoniously, as for me the hobby is the build and the display is a side effect that I do not enjoy nearly as much.  All my old builds do is remind me of the past and my goal is to improve upon each one, so I have no attachment to them. 

21 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

When it becomes time to retire a kit, I simply leave it to its fate somewhere, out in the open in a place where it shouldn’t be.  Been doing this for years and they always disappear, never to be seen again.  I’m pretty sure the model fairies take them.

What does that mean? Where do you put them, do you mean someplace out in the open at home? I am curious.

1 hour ago, CShanne said:

What does that mean? Where do you put them, do you mean someplace out in the open at home? I am curious.

Well away from my house:  Playgrounds, park benches, on top of my trash bin at the curb - pretty much anywhere somebody might find them.  The options and possibilities are endless.

There's a part of me who really does believe that these guys have life figured out:

Bedouin_and_camel.jpg

I suggest that because it would appear that their worldly needs are largely fulfilled, excepting women of course, and all on the back of a pack animal. It's funny how different people can be, as a lot folks are really into possessions. I'm reminded of an old adage, courtesy of William Blake,  "excess of sorrow laughs, excess of joy weeps." I think that excesses of most sorts are the same way, vulgar in a manner.

For folks who love airplanes and enjoy working with their hands, modeling is a natural pastime. However, "hoarding" kits and finished models would be borderline PITA for me, as sooner or later, I'd wake up one morning, and run the whole lot out to the nearest dumpster. For collectors of all sorts, I'm certain that sounds like a kind of heresy. To me however, the exercise would be more like taking a good dump. Then again, I'm not a collector. I'm the guy on the camel.