vacform recommendation for a first timer

npb748r

I'm in one of those modelling troughs at the moment, just no enthusiasm for the builds on my bench or the kits in my stash. I have a few kits I'd like to buy but they are the ones I've put off for years due to the expense so can't go down that route. To get out of this normally I end up building one or two kits that are far removed from 1/32 scale aircraft  however this time I fancy trying something different. I've got on order a Yak 23 from planet models which will be my first ever resin kit. I've also never built a vacform kit and thought that I should break my duck and build one. I think I understand the basic modelling principles in building vacform but I have zero knowledge of kit manufacturers, what kits are available and what would be a good starter kit. I'd like to stick with 1/32 scale and it would need to be relatively simple I think given my lack of experience. I'd really welcome any recommendations on what kits would be good to look at for a complete beginner. I assume stuff like cockpit details would need to be aftermarket ??

thanks

neil   

Not easy because the amount of aftermarket items still existing for 1/32 vacs is close to nil. One exception is the Tigger Models Boulton Paul Defiant for which a resin set of the cockpit/turret components was released. Otherwise, you must 'recycle' items intended for other similar planes or rely on generic sets (such as seat belts).

The long OOP Echelon Lightning is another good candidate as it is a marvelous model that can be combined with many resin sets intended for the more recent Trumpeter plastic kit. The Tigger Models F-82 Twin Mustang is also a possibility as various small components were similar on the P-51 D (so they exist in resin) and there are also Shapeways 3d printed sets (at least for the gun pod). Otherwise, for most large vac models, there are not a lot of really helpful options.

The simplest so to speak vac kit IMHO is the Fokker DVIII by Falcon. Australia.  One wing, not much rigging. You will need to scratch build the inside tubing structure and a bulkhead or two. There is a styrene kit also so one can find an engine (Vac engine in the kit is a yawn) and few upgrades and decals.  I can send you a picture of the vac kit if you send me your email address. I have seen a number of them built; sweet results.  

The best selection of vac kits with detail parts is in 1/48 scale.  eBay has a good selection right now.  I have a few nice vac jet kits in this scale.  HTH

I know they're not 1/32nd scale, but anything by Dynavector will fall together, and come with lots of white metal to avoid the worst of the scratch-building. Aeroclub are also pretty good and provide lots of the detail parts. Welsh Models do a lovely range of civil aircraft and they go together really well - again with resin/white metal parts to help along the way. 

HTH.

Tom

4 minutes ago, Steve Eagle said:

If you can find any of the Dynavector kits, to me these are the best vacuform kits released-1/48 scale.  They are OOP, but you might one on eBay.  I have built several over the years, but I have done more in 1/32- ID/Tigger and Combat. Would be glad to give you tips. 

a bit of drift… I have 4 or 5 Dynavector kits up for grabs.  Send me PM. 

I'd go for something esoteric: that way you won't be diverted by the possibility of an alternative injection-moulded version. I always expect to scratch-build items (part of the attraction for me) and so long as shape is accurate and the main parts are workable then the choice is enormous. I've built many Rareplanes vacs and never been disappointed; Contrail are good too but some kits (TSR.2) are a bit 'off' in terms of shape. Eagles Talon did some more extensive kits with resin and metal parts and I've also done a few kits which had no obvious branding - including a lovely 1/72 Wilga - so those can be had too. 

One that always get good reviews (aside from those listed above) is Koster, though I understand that prices can be a bit steep.

I'm currently doing a Rareplanes Ryan ST and have commissioned some decals for it, which is another expectation for vacforms.

8 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

I appreciate your idea.  Vacs as accessory for a conversion I feel is a good way for an introduction to a bit of scratch building.  

thanks all for the great feedback. Having had chance to look in more detail at some of the builds I think this might be the way to go as well. I don't think my modelling skills are up to the level needed (for example I've never scribed panel lines or added rivets) but this might be a good way to experience vacform without too much pressure. My only other thought as suggested by a few of you above is to pick an unusual subject (possibly away from aircraft - maybe space related )in a small scale.

thanks all - really appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

neil