F-15J Umegumi - Landed!

themongoose

Inserting my place-holder now - She will be all out of the box with a strong emphasis on PAINT!

Screenshot%202022-11-29%20110542-M.jpg

I pulled the trigger on the only game in town for a camo pattern that I've been waiting 4 or 5 years to do. Hasegawa did a limited release in 1/72 scale. I plan to scan and create a set of masks for the 305SQ Commemorative scheme "Ume-gumi"! This will definitely take all 6 months of this GB to finish. I think I can master this now. My mini Ume-Gumi kit below...

IMG_0216-L.jpg

:mental:  I can't believe I'm going to jump into this as I finish up the F/A-18F DigiHell but I gotta do it. I always said it was waiting for an LSP group build to execute on.

Opened my kit and found a broken windscreen. Heard back from Tamiya USA and they are sending a replacement completely free of charge! What a great organization.

I've pulled some cockpit parts off the sprue so I'll start posting pics this weekend I expect.

On 12/1/2022 at 10:39 PM, themongoose said:

IMG_0216-L.jpg

:mental:  I can't believe I'm going to jump into this as I finish up the F/A-18F DigiHell but I gotta do it. I always said it was waiting for an LSP group build to execute on.

Opened my kit and found a broken windscreen. Heard back from Tamiya USA and they are sending a replacement completely free of charge! What a great organization.

I've pulled some cockpit parts off the sprue so I'll start posting pics this weekend I expect.

I am really looking forward to seeing you tackle this paint job ;-) - Are you going to make masks on a cutter or by hand?

Niels

12 hours ago, Zola25 said:

I am really looking forward to seeing you tackle this paint job ;-) - Are you going to make masks on a cutter or by hand?

Niels

masks on my Silhouette cutter :-) the Platz 1/72 Eagle showed up and the decals are absolutely stunningly done. By Cartograph of course. I’ve scanned them at 2400 dpi and they fit perfect and I’ve got good print resolution.

Now the Kanji I have to do some experiments with. I am toying with the idea of hand stenciling them on in gold.mohh boy, where do i get these crazy ideas! The scan of the Kanji is crystal clear, they are just so fine.

I just picked up DXM’s 1/32 JASDF Aggressors stencil set. Lucky to find something to replace these heavy Tamiya decals it seems. They were a bear to find. Also printed by Cartograph!

Well, decision made - It’s going to be all out of the box. Dragged the kit along to my hotel for work this week. I’ve been back and forth on whether to buy some aftermarket. I need 2 wing tanks for sure. Have come close to pulling the trigger on some Kopecky scale models gear for sure, even loaded up the cart :wub: but my daughter’s college bill is in so i have to stay strong, nothing but box builds for awhile.

3164C6CF-FB17-450E-BAB9-EE071BB80CA7-L.j

im working those intakes 1 seam at a time to try and get them as close to flush as i can. 4 nights in the hotel, 4 seams, should be good to go by the time i get home. Thinking about trying some automotive putty in them. Worst case back to my tried and true latex paint option. That’s worked well for me in the past. Ohh so spoiled with seamless intake spending over the last few years :innocent:

31 minutes ago, Stokey Pete said:

It’s a good thing that Tamiya managed to hook you up with that windscreen. 
I’ve just had my Bunker Buster boxing delivered, only one set of clear parts are in it. 

ha! So someone bought it for the clear parts and then sold it to get their money back maybe? Crazy. Yep, my Tamiya parts arrived so i am all set. Great customer support from them.

On 12/12/2022 at 1:05 PM, Kagemusha said:

A tip for the exhausts here, for the tanks, maybe post a request in the Traders Board for a couple from the more recent Revell F-4E or G kits?

Good luck with the paint job.

Props to you buddy!! pulled out Tamiya's F-4EJ that  I have on the shelf and sure enough those tanks will work with some scalpel work haha. Cutting off the existing pylon, shortening it, and making it match the contour of the rear of the tank will get me something dang close to what's on the jet. Paused my other project to experiment tonight :mental:

i-GhXz5vg-XL.jpg

i-D7qXrPw-XL.jpg