F-15J Umegumi - Landed!

themongoose

3 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

Chris.

One thing I don’t believe I failed to notice…….did you take the flaps off the wings? That’s something I’ve never considered doing before. That’s a cool addition to the dynamic look. 

Yep sure did! I will say tho easier to cut off then to fit back on haha

I added a piece of round stock to the leading edge of the flap, filled the gap with bondo and then sanded it smooth. I ended up having to sand down the top of the leading edge a little and the bottom leading edge a lot. Otherwise there was this big gap between wing and flap. I cut a piece of tubing in half and used it to fill the gap in the wing trailing edge. Someday when I want to take the time I need to look at how these things work and figure out a better way to do it. I've taken flaps off a couple AC now and it's always a struggle. ha, you'd think I'd quit it by now!

I kept the mojo going strong today despite the beautiful weather here in Cincinnati. If my son didn't have my car right now I would have definitely been outside. Aren't you guys lucky, I put some real color on Umegumi this afternoon. Here's how it progressed...

These masks are a full sheet of paper so using recycled backing paper from other masks comes in handy. this keeps stray parts from sticking to the model where they aren't wanted ;-)

F2395621-8A54-466C-816A-F888B4B22AE0-338

Because of the contours of the engines it was important to do initial placement right down the center and then slowly work the mask around and across al the different contours. the dot is the center of the lotus flower and i sketched in the arc across the top to help with alignment.

4FAB3453-C9E8-4548-8D8A-315C12EF1CB2-338

61DE58D5-57E4-4156-984F-7817104423A0-600

Tamiya fine Pink primer

AEEBBAD0-225E-4A32-9581-CF3BA44DDBEF-600

This is Chestnut Brown from my 23 window VW Bus build. It's almost black in certain lights so it seemed perfect.

A2D1DC10-03E2-40EC-8A08-D42FCDBE70E1-600

And the money shot!

BAB2FB55-C5F0-4F7C-BAFE-86237FC67F75-600

Just a few touchups to do really. Quite successful given how complicated this design is!

6FB147A0-80D8-4544-8491-ACF07186E90D-600

BD64B228-493C-4E56-80BA-E407B4AB18EA-600

The air brake is just sitting in there now to complete the picture. It will of course be deployed on the finished model. What a fun day. Finally seeing how this will look has been exciting. Going to be a busy week but next week I'm on vacation so expect to see some good stuff by then :-)

• themongoose changed the title to F-15J Ume-Gumi Lotus Tile
1 hour ago, Stokey Pete said:

Have you figured how to approach the Kanji script yet? 

a most timely question :hmmm: 

simple answer, no…but i have an idea and am open to any and all suggestions :help:

so while i sit here eating lunch lets lay out some thoughts

i have a 2400dpi scan of the 1/72 scale cartograph decals

the Kanji is part of the whole decal so to separate them i have to spend a huge amount of time in photoshop probably 

my daughter is in her 2nd semester of Japanese, maybe she can find a resource to tell me what each of the characters is? Then i could lay them out cleanly and make a mask. Tedious, but hey, often times that’s what makes art special right!

from the looks of it the silhouette can cut it. The problem I’ve had with these tiny masks is that 1) it’s hard to get them to transfer from the friskette (for placement and alignment) to the surface and then 2) once on the surface they don’t stick well and slide around until you hit them with clear coat. Weird how adhesive behaves like that.

the gold needs to be thin or it peels up with the tape has been my past experience. The Kanji have some very fine lines to them. I’m looking for an MCW or lacquer right now. Haven’t looked to see if vallejo has a gold in their new metal line tho. Anyone know or have experience with gold paint?

how about gold foil? Anyone know if that might work?

wow that was a lot. Killed the rest of my lunch hour with that list :piliot:

That’s a tough set of options, equally time consuming I’ll imagine. Of the two, I’d probably enlist the help of your daughter if she’s agreeable. 

I’ve no real experience using gold paint, beyond mixing a drop or two of MRP into

other metallic colours. I’m guessing any lacquer based gold will allow you to spray a really thin layer with good coverage over the white. Possibly a touch more to cover the other colours. 

I have little experience airbrushing gold paints, nut can not help you there.

As far as gold foil is concerned, that technique requires you to lay down a thing glue layer upon which the goild foil is then pressed. When brushing with a hard(is) brush the excess gold is brushed away, and only the bit attached to the glue remains.  Works wonders on art frames, not sure how feasible it will be on models...

I must say mr metal colours has a very fine grain,  but I find their a more pleasing yellow than their gold (perhaps the labels were switched on my bottles, not sure)