F-15DJ Aggressor - Finished.

Stokey Pete

A slow start for me with this one, not been feeling too great. I have a box with the cockpit parts all trimmed and primed, ready to paint. 
I made a start on the intake trunkings, to create my own seamless ones. I stopped building them as one piece after the very first Eagle I built. 

52578469512_946ff27865_b.jpg

Good news! 
I can commit to this fully now. I had a little delivery in the mail this morning. 

52579942355_0f57eebb90_b.jpg

52579034442_530452b2ac_b.jpg

As with all Cartograph printed decals, they look beautiful, with clear lettering. Also, a little nod to the service from DXM. From the order to Taiwan, to my door in the U.K, in a little over 3 weeks. 
To put that in perspective, I ordered some F-16 decals from a UK supplier 30 miles from me, at the same time as the DXM order. I’m still waiting for the viper sheet. 

Funny I just took mine out of the box today and thought the same thing, absolutely beautiful! There’s just no way I would use those thick Tamiya decals out of the box. What a mess it would make. I’m interested to follow your seamless intakes for sure. I opted to keep it all together so I guess I will see how it goes… Knowing you’ve only done it that way once and never again fills me with dread :oops:

2 hours ago, themongoose said:

Funny I just took mine out of the box today and thought the same thing, absolutely beautiful! There’s just no way I would use those thick Tamiya decals out of the box. What a mess it would make. I’m interested to follow your seamless intakes for sure. I opted to keep it all together so I guess I will see how it goes… Knowing you’ve only done it that way once and never again fills me with dread :oops:

I’d probably do the same if I were building a wheels down version. Cutting up the intakes is easy if it’s built wheels up. There’s no realigning of the wheel bays, etc needed.

I also think you’d have hefty gaps to fill if you were to try and cut them, and install them with the bays intact. 
After seeing a few photo’s of intakes, and how far the paint stretched into the ‘tunnel’, I knew my solution was the one for me. 
This is my Strike Eagles intakes, forgive the poor phone quality, but it shows the effect well. 

52581285138_17c8586601_b.jpg

On 12/2/2022 at 6:18 AM, Stokey Pete said:

I’ve had a great result from the UK Tamiya distributor too. They have sourced me a ‘C’ lower fuselage half which I can cross kit into the ‘E’ kit, to loosely ‘convert it into a ‘DJ’ 

After I read this I emailed the US Tamiya team and they sent me the C lower half as well. I fell into a Tamiya F15E for a steal and I wasn't wild about the paint options for the E, so had been kicking around the JASDF DJ schemes, but didn't have the solution to the bottom fuselage. Thanks for the tip - I will jumping in on this one seen too, waiting on decals.

1 hour ago, Rhodie78 said:

After I read this I emailed the US Tamiya team and they sent me the C lower half as well. I fell into a Tamiya F15E for a steal and I wasn't wild about the paint options for the E, so had been kicking around the JASDF DJ schemes, but didn't have the solution to the bottom fuselage. Thanks for the tip - I will jumping in on this one seen too, waiting on decals.

Welcome to the JASDF club Rhodie!! This will end up being the most colorful group build LSP has ever done :beer:

On 12/27/2022 at 12:56 AM, Rhodie78 said:

Which scheme do you have in mind?