Revell 1/32 F-15C Eagle canopy

Derek B

Hi Ali,

If you have an opportunity in your impossibly busy work schedule, is there any chance that you can throw some consideration to producing a replacement windscreen and canopy for the truly awful Revell 1/32 F-15C Eagle kit smoke tinted offerings please? (this is the only thing - apart from decals - stopping me from making/completing the kit I started back in the mid-80's!).

Many thanks

Derek

3 hours ago, blackbetty said:

i used a tamiya one, you can get the clear sprue. if you leave it open, it fits:

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/48020-candy-cane-a-an-eagle-from-the-revell-kit-finished/

Thanks Karl. I'm not sure if I can still get that and have no idea how much it would cost? (these days, my funds are limited!) :)

Many thanks

Derek

On 11/29/2022 at 1:33 PM, Derek B said:

Hi Ali,

If you have an opportunity in your impossibly busy work schedule, is there any chance that you can throw some consideration to producing a replacement windscreen and canopy for the truly awful Revell 1/32 F-15C Eagle kit smoke tinted offerings please? (this is the only thing - apart from decals - stopping me from making/completing the kit I started back in the mid-80's!).

Many thanks

Derek

Fine request, but IIRC it is the two seat B and E kit with fictional smoked clear. Was same issue with the 1/48 BONE.

Certainly into a few myself. If that's your kit in photo Derek, chance the Bicent. decals are around?

12 hours ago, phasephantomphixer said:

Fine request, but IIRC it is the two seat B and E kit with fictional smoked clear. Was same issue with the 1/48 BONE.

Certainly into a few myself. If that's your kit in photo Derek, chance the Bicent. decals are around?

Hi PPP! :)

The image I shared is not mine, but off the internet (there are surprisingly few images of the Revell kit out there!). I have this Revell 1/32 F-15C kit, which may be the only one with the smoke tinted canopy:

REVELL 1/32 4759 McDONNELL DOUGLAS F-15C EAGLE (UK SALE ONLY)

So, I do not have the Bicentennial kit. I think that the later Revell F-15D/E kit has the same canopy and windscreen moulded in clear plastic, in which case, that would solve my problems if I can get those transparencies.

My part built kit languished in the house attic for about 27 years and became covered in mould, but cleaned up OK.

JId1vIB.jpg

mgKnHMP.jpg

BqE1bgC.jpg

Cheers

Derek

22 hours ago, Derek B said:

Hi PPP! :)

The image I shared is not mine, but off the internet (there are surprisingly few images of the Revell kit out there!). I have this Revell 1/32 F-15C kit, which may be the only one with the smoke tinted canopy:

REVELL 1/32 4759 McDONNELL DOUGLAS F-15C EAGLE (UK SALE ONLY)

So, I do not have the Bicentennial kit. I think that the later Revell F-15D/E kit has the same canopy and windscreen moulded in clear plastic, in which case, that would solve my problems if I can get those transparencies.

My part built kit languished in the house attic for about 27 years and became covered in mould, but cleaned up OK.

JId1vIB.jpg

mgKnHMP.jpg

BqE1bgC.jpg

Cheers

Derek

No Derek. It has the same windshield but not the same canopy. The two-seater one was more bulbous.

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

No Derek. It has the same windshield but not the same canopy. The two-seater one was more bulbous.

Thanks Thierry - I'm certain that you are correct, as I haven't checked this out properly.

Thanks

Derek

Hi Derek

I have been meaning to contact you about a few things and may well do that next week.

Any way to the matter in hand the F-15 canopy, I can have a look at it and see what I can do and see if it is a ‘reasonably’ easy task of cleaning up and recasting in clear.

TWO PROVISORS THOUGH

firstly I will need your canopy set

second I / we need to determine that there is a need for more than just ONE canopy set for you, I need to see and hope that there could be or there are sales for at least 20 sets.

Next to be honest the canopy set will be in the region of £15.00 to £20.00, and probably closer to £20.00. I am not going to bore you or the other modellers BUT the material costs have rocketed, and the material for the clear is also in fairly short supply. I have not released quite a few new sets as I have had a very challenging time recently, in more ways than one, but one big factor is clear casting, I have managed to keep current orders flowing but not been able to release new ones. Good news it looks like I have now turned that corner so new items should appear soon, and with that I am now prepared to look at this as a project.

it would be good to get yours and others feedback if this is going to be a wanted product, and the threshold is not super high but I am not venturing into it for just a handful of sets, or if the price is deemed to high, I cannot do anything about that.

cheers Ali

23 hours ago, Ali62 said:

Hi Derek

I have been meaning to contact you about a few things and may well do that next week.

Any way to the matter in hand the F-15 canopy, I can have a look at it and see what I can do and see if it is a ‘reasonably’ easy task of cleaning up and recasting in clear.

TWO PROVISORS THOUGH

firstly I will need your canopy set

second I / we need to determine that there is a need for more than just ONE canopy set for you, I need to see and hope that there could be or there are sales for at least 20 sets.

Next to be honest the canopy set will be in the region of £15.00 to £20.00, and probably closer to £20.00. I am not going to bore you or the other modellers BUT the material costs have rocketed, and the material for the clear is also in fairly short supply. I have not released quite a few new sets as I have had a very challenging time recently, in more ways than one, but one big factor is clear casting, I have managed to keep current orders flowing but not been able to release new ones. Good news it looks like I have now turned that corner so new items should appear soon, and with that I am now prepared to look at this as a project.

it would be good to get yours and others feedback if this is going to be a wanted product, and the threshold is not super high but I am not venturing into it for just a handful of sets, or if the price is deemed to high, I cannot do anything about that.

cheers Ali

Thank you Ali for your considered response. It looks like the single seat Revell 1/32 Eagles has the smoke tinted canopies and the two seat variants don't. Assuming that you can even still get the Tamiya clear parts as replacements (which may not be a perfect fit), the cost of purchasing and shipping for them alone will probably be more than the estimates for your casting.

I can't help thinking that many modellers must have similar kits to mine which require the correct clear type canopy and windscreen, so I hope that you gain enough interest and feedback from them to encourage you to consider it? Of course, I can supply my canopy and windscreen should you require it.

Best regards and thanks

Derek

You definitely got "smoked" boxing, funny I have same boxing non-smoked single.

They unfortunately continued the smoked through the 2000's Strike Eagle as I have it.

Now I need to check stash to verify which type and how many, but know the SE has smoked.

Being over in US would consider one combined into an order Ali - Cheers.