Jump to content

1/32 scale Chipmunk in development


Ali62
 Share

Show interest in large scale Chipmunks   

26 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you support a resin cast and 3D printed Chipmunk

    • Yes
      24
    • No
      2


Recommended Posts

This has been hanging around for a while, Ben Standen, did the original CAD work, the files are printed as can be seen, I need to do some corrections and add surface details. The canopy is still the biggest challenge, but I have some trial parts in development for this.

I intend to resin cast the major parts, the smaller parts and the cockpit details will be 3D printed parts along with some decals.

I am wanting to keep the price as competitive as I possibly can and therefore at this stage I am not intending to do engine detail, other than a cylinder detail that can be seen through the intake. I intend to offer separate flying surfaces, but what is the thought on the flaps being separate parts, as when parked I think that they are mostly in the neutral position.

At this stage I cannot commit to a release date, but realistically it would be summer 2023.

AA21EEE8-7128-4C70-A8B2-D5FFE4906F86

685A361F-F0E1-41DA-B3A2-C2244F983686 E4C2C408-0DC2-40C3-BB21-CB1CEFF09CB1 AC512921-1617-4037-95C5-36678E06E4B5

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Ali62 said:

but what is the thought on the flaps being separate parts, as when parked I think that they are mostly in the neutral position.

That's "always" in the neutral (up) position, certainly for an RAF Chippie.  Not only would dropped flaps make it harder for the crew to get in and out, but Pilot's Notes unequivocally stated that flaps were to be raised as soon as possible after landing.  To leave them down meant a risk of the operating wires/chains "jumping" from their pulleys, particularly if taxying with a tailwind, and I suspect would land the pilot with a reminder from the Boss about good airmanship.

 

But if you wish to give people the option (wouldn't that add to cost though?) and if memory serves, half-flap was 20 or 25 degrees, full flap was 40 degrees.

 

I look forward to this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, MikeC said:

That's "always" in the neutral (up) position, certainly for an RAF Chippie.  Not only would dropped flaps make it harder for the crew to get in and out, but Pilot's Notes unequivocally stated that flaps were to be raised as soon as possible after landing.  To leave them down meant a risk of the operating wires/chains "jumping" from their pulleys, particularly if taxying with a tailwind, and I suspect would land the pilot with a reminder from the Boss about good airmanship.

 

But if you wish to give people the option (wouldn't that add to cost though?) and if memory serves, half-flap was 20 or 25 degrees, full flap was 40 degrees.

 

I look forward to this.

Thank you for that, I was almost sure but thought I would confirm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Ali. 

This is a project that has the potential to be popular depending on a few factors.

The most obvious would be price. I have literally no idea where this would need to be for it to be financially viable for you but I have a price in mind that would make or break the project for me.

The next would be shape. Unless it looked like a Chipmunk it would be a pass for me. Anything that needed completely re-working would just be too much effort these days for me.

If, however, the above two factors were within reason I’d be in for one.

 

Good look with the project and please keep us posted on any progress. 

 

Cheers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh yes please! :clap2::clap2::clap2:I always like ailerons, rudder and elevators to be separate if possible but no big deal if it causes complications in design, production or price. The Silvers Wings or Lukgraph prices demonstrate what the kind of modeller who is your market is happy to pay. I’m certainly one of them. 
 

PS I’ve also flagged this up on Britmodeller to garner more support. 

Edited by mozart
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the interest guys.

38 minutes ago, ajf said:

Really neat! Im in.

 

Any chance of including the Canadian version's canopy?

 

cheers

 

 

 

 

 

I may look at this, but I need to see what changes will be needed to the fuselage and or canopy rails.

HOWEVER one thing at a time, I need to get the one lot of patterns finished first.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ajf said:

Any chance of including the Canadian version's canopy?

 

5 hours ago, Ali62 said:

I may look at this, but I need to see what changes will be needed to the fuselage and or canopy rails.

 

They were very different aircraft: if only it was a case of a new canopy.  The database section on the Chipmunk in Aeroplane magazine's May 2021 issue sets out the differences side-by-side: the list takes up a whole A4 page.

 

But it is quite legitimate to put a Canadian scheme on a British Chippie if you don't mind doing a preserved example. 0Shuttleworth_Chipmunk-0394_Zeitler_700_

Edited by MikeC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...