Delta 1555 - Microsoft Flight Sim Boston to Orlando

John1

Inspired by ChuckD's awesome around the world flight in his Beechcraft 18, I decided to document a much less ambitious flight of my own.  It's a rainy, gloomy day in the Boston area where I reside, so I figured, what's better than heading down to Orlando, where I can spend a week in the sun, getting my pockets emptied by the ultimate experts in separating one's money from one's self - Disney Corporation.    I opted to follow a real-world flight that was leaving at the same time I fired up my sim.   Delta 1555, departing from Boston - Logan's Terminal A, non-stop to Orlando (KMCO - which by the way is tribute to the former identity of this airport - McCoy AFB, a Strategic Air Command base that was closed in the late 60's).   I set up the sim to use Live Weather which takes it's data from actual aviation METARS and does a surprisingly good job of replicating it in the virtual world of MSFS.   

Here I am at the gate, doing my pre-flight duties.  Had a break in the clouds but that was only short lived.   Thought about running up the ramp to grab a quick bite at Legal Sea Foods (high-end seafood chain in this area) but thought the best of it. 

hTjrZ6N.jpg

Here's my ride, a Delta 737-800.   Logan is pretty quiet on a Sunday afternoon, only around 50% of gates were occupied.   Just finishing loading up the baggage. 

XQapF1i.png

The passengers are getting restless.   That man with the beard on the right looks a bit "sus".   The guy on the bench opposite him looks like he may have had a few beers too many at Legal's bar. 

mD69w9T.png

While I'm waiting for the passengers to board, I figured I'd stretch my legs and wander the cabin.

2FG8sYW.png

Nice and orderly at the back of the bus.  Looks like catering left a note for the FA's in the aft galley.

Might as well head back to the cockpit.   One thing I like about Delta (in real life) are the seat back inflight entertainment screens.  They also have a bit more leg room on their 737s and A320s compared to American.   My rating for domestic flying is Delta, then a tie with United & Southwest (I love Southwest's cabin crew, they actually seem to enjoy their jobs but can't stand SWA's boarding process, so they didn't make it to first place) and far at the back of the pack is American.   Horrible legroom, most of their jets have seen better days (at least on the interior) and the FA's can only be described as "surly".   Unfortunately, for most of the business flying I do, I'm stuck on AA. 

tANrQrm.png

After pushback, we have a long taxi out to Runway 22R.   Only a few jets heading out right now so at least we have that working for us.  The short version of the taxi instructions are to take Taxiways Alpha and November, crossing runway 15L and 15R on our way out to 22R. 

oh4ObNc.png

Terminal A is referenced as the "Satellite" terminal in the KBOS diagram below.  22R is probably the most commonly used runway for takeoffs at Logan.  Landing aircraft use 22L.   The standard departure after takeoff is to take an immediate left turn and fly out over Boston Harbor.   The purpose of that is for noise abatement reasons.   Directly south of 22R, just across the shipping channel into the port of Boston is the neighborhood of South Boston.   "Southie" used to be a dump back in the day (and was the haunt of "Whitey" Bulger, who I actually met very briefly as a young kid) but nowadays, it's gone hugely upscale (and lost a lot of it's old charm in the process).  Can't have jets flying over those million-dollar condos can we?

See the source image

Waiting for clearance to take the runway.  

cwELypZ.png

Passenger view.

wKhelir.png

Line up and hold. Pretty sure most airliners these days have HUD's for the pilot (very rare that the co-pilot gets one).   These are critical for shooting low visibility ILS approaches and provide much higher level of situational awareness.   You can see my initial route in magenta on the Navigational Display below. 

LUAxd0U.png

We'll be flying the SSOXS 6 Standard Instrument Departure today.   As mentioned, this has us taking a quick left turn onto heading 140 degrees, climbing out over Boston Harbor / Cape Cod Bay to waypoint TJAYY and then turning right at BUCKY to parallel the South Shore of Massachusetts (for southbound flights) before taking another right turn JSTER and heading inland to waypoint SSOXS. By the time you hit SSOXS, you are at approximately 10,000 feet, so noise is no longer an issue.   From SSOXS, departing traffic follows their planned course to the final destination.   

Boston Logan Intl Boston, MA (KBOS): SSOXS SIX (RNAV) (DP)

Post-take off.  Made the noise abatement turn and am heading out over the outer portion of Boston Harbor to TJAYY.  Across the channel from the end of RWY 22L is a Revolutionary War fort, which makes for an outstanding plane-watching spot.   Beyond that is South Boston itself. 

VCCyUhs.png

JDCDRmO.png

Starting to head back inland. 

5aFbcqK.png

Logan and Boston harbor are below the wingtip.   The South Shore (the general area I've lived for the last 20 years is below. 

lRPJJl4.png

Going "feet dry" over Plymouth Harbor.   Cape Cod stretches off to the left.

Sa9z19g.png

So that's where I'll leave things for tonight.   I'll follow up with the remainder of the flight in another post.   Thanks for flying along! 

Not gonna lie- it’s odd for me to see someone simulate my day job. When I get home from a trip, this is the LAST thing I would ever do! I don’t even think about the airline untiI the day prior to my next trip.

A really accurate simulation would have your schedule change at least twice in the middle of a trip, a hotel room with no hot water, making coffee in the hotel room at 0430 because nothing is open, ruining a uniform shirt with a dirty hotel iron, adding 1500 lbs of fuel because the company always plans you too light, getting a random security inspection by TSA, the APU MEL’d inop in July, the previous crew leaving the jet with hot brakes and the parking brake on, a 2 hour EDCT, the ramp can’t figure out the load and then you wait 20 minutes at the departure end on final weights, a 250 knot ATC speed restriction to level off for flow into NY, ATC can’t figure out that the aviation standard is to land into the wind, braking action reports into a 7000 ft runway, and then taking an uber to the hotel because the limo company missed your pick up at 0100.

Thanks..but I’m good:rolleyes:

cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

50 minutes ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Not gonna lie- it’s odd for me to see someone simulate my day job. When I get home from a trip, this is the LAST thing I would ever do! I don’t even think about the airline unit I the day prior to my next trip.

Thanks..but I’m good:rolleyes:

cheers

Pete

Pete - I feel this is a critical sim since I fly quite a bit for business.    I need to be fully prepared to take control in and be able to land case both flight crew had the fish for lunch.   With my extensive virtual experience, I've now deemed myself to be ready for the challenge.   

I do hope you'll change your mind, I've heard that there is an upcoming "Crazy Passenger Expansion Pack" for the 737.   As a virtual captain, you'll enjoy the challenge of dealing with drunk passengers, fights in the aisles, fights over overhead bins, fights over schedule delays, fights because the FA's shut them off for more booze, fights over seating and random (you can set this to your preference) crazed passengers banging on the cockpit door trying to get in or even crazed passengers trying to open up an emergency exit in flight to get out!   For an extra $10, you get the "Emotional Support Animal Upgrade" where you can actually select the type and size of the animal the emotionally damaged passenger demands to bring onto the plane.   Options run from emotional support goldfish, to emotional support pythons all the way to emotional support St Bernards.    You're missing out bud!

BTW, what's your work ride?  A Boeing product or one of the Buses?

Edited by John1

57 minutes ago, John1 said:

Pete - I feel this is a critical sim since I fly quite a bit for business.    I need to be fully prepared to take control in and be able to land case both flight crew had the fish for lunch.   With my extensive virtual experience, I've now deemed myself to be ready for the challenge.   

I do hope you'll change your mind, I've heard that there is an upcoming "Crazy Passenger Expansion Pack" for the 737.   As a virtual captain, you'll enjoy the challenge of dealing with drunk passengers, fights in the aisles, fights over overhead bins, fights over schedule delays, fights because the FA's shut them off for more booze, fights over seating and random (you can set this to your preference) crazed passengers banging on the cockpit door trying to get in or even crazed passengers trying to open up an emergency exit in flight to get out!   For an extra $10, you get the "Emotional Support Animal Upgrade" where you can actually select the type and size of the animal the emotionally damaged passenger demands to bring onto the plane.   Options run from emotional support goldfish, to emotional support pythons all the way to emotional support St Bernards.    You're missing out bud!

BTW, what's your work ride?  A Boeing product or one of the Buses?

Nope. No thanks. I’m good… really.

I have been at my airline for 25 years. I am an A320 Captain and instructor/ Check Airman. I have type ratings in the 757,767, 777, and A320.  As much as I love to fly, it is a J-O-B, and everything that goes along with that. There are great days, seen some amazing things and made great friends,  but it is more often than not simply a grind or an endurance test. 
throw in things like 9/11, airline bankruptcies, pay cuts, mergers, SARS, stock market crash, Covid, mandatory vaxx, more pay cuts, and a new pilot contract that is 2 years past due…everything affects the airlines and your quality of life. Everything.

Oh- and you get to play “ you bet your job” every 6 months with a 1st class FAA medical exam; and have your flying skills tested every 9 months in the simulator. I’m pretty sure a surgeon doesn’t need to pass a physical or have their skills evaluated twice a year to keep working. They are also not forced to retire at age 65.

Many holidays away from home. Many missed birthdays.

Lots of distractions that you push through- to show up every day and be a professional to get folks where they want to go safely. But that’s what we do.

P

1 hour ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Nope. No thanks. I’m good… really.

I have been at my airline for 25 years. I am an A320 Captain and instructor/ Check Airman. I have type ratings in the 757,767, 777, and A320.  As much as I love to fly, it is a J-O-B, and everything that goes along with that. There are great days, seen some amazing things and made great friends,  but it is more often than not simply a grind or an endurance test. 
throw in things like 9/11, airline bankruptcies, pay cuts, mergers, SARS, stock market crash, Covid, mandatory vaxx, more pay cuts, and a new pilot contract that is 2 years past due…everything affects the airlines and your quality of life. Everything.

Oh- and you get to play “ you bet your job” every 6 months with a 1st class FAA medical exam; and have your flying skills tested every 9 months in the simulator. I’m pretty sure a surgeon doesn’t need to pass a physical or have their skills evaluated twice a year to keep working. They are also not forced to retire at age 65.

Many holidays away from home. Many missed birthdays.

Lots of distractions that you push through- to show up every day and be a professional to get folks where they want to go safely. But that’s what we do.

P

Got it Pete.   Honestly, part of me always wanted to fly for the airlines but at the end of the day, I'd rather be home with my wife and kids.  Life goes by way to fast; kids grow up way to fast.    Glad you are still hanging in there, definitely not a job for everything (and I'm not talking about just having the skills to fly the aircraft). 

It’s funny- I’ve turned into the old captain that I used to make fun of when I was the new guy. Not surly or grumpy..but someone who literally stopped counting their flying hours at 20,000..comes down final with their reading glasses perched on their nose -has seen 10 different management groups and  5 different paint jobs on the jets.

it’s easy to forget how lucky I am, or how special flying is when you are grinding through the routine…I do love it, but I’ll be ready to retire when it’s my time-

P

15 minutes ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

It’s funny- I’ve turned into the old captain that I used to make fun of when I was the new guy. Not surly or grumpy..but someone who literally stopped counting their flying hours at 20,000..comes down final with their reading glasses perched on their nose -has seen 10 different management groups and  5 different paint jobs on the jets.

it’s easy to forget how lucky I am, or how special flying is when you are grinding through the routine…I do love it, but I’ll be ready to retire when it’s my time-

P

Get'n old sucks :D

17 minutes ago, Dope737 said:

Get'n old sucks :D

The worst part is, it just sneaks up on you.   I still feel like I'm 20 something and yet, I've got grey hair, 2 out of three daughters out in the world (the 10-year old is keeping me somewhat young) and I'm starting to think about end-game management of the 401-K.   How the heck did this happen?  

29 minutes ago, John1 said:

The worst part is, it just sneaks up on you.   I still feel like I'm 20 something and yet, I've got grey hair, 2 out of three daughters out in the world (the 10-year old is keeping me somewhat young) and I'm starting to think about end-game management of the 401-K.   How the heck did this happen?  

same.

but I still handle like I’m 21! And I’ll go out and pull 6g’s all day in the L-39!

Weird to see my Dad staring back at me in the bathroom mirror though-

P

So I'm now at cruising altitude (33,000'), heading down the east coast towards sunny FL.    Still overcast below but the forecast for Orlando is better, only scattered clouds.

5OuIb6u.png

Not sure what happened to the First Officer.  He was here a minute ago.  BTW, the detailing in this particular product (released by PMDG - a company run by a real life 737 captain) is amazing.   Every last feature of the cockpit is replicated in high detail, down to a coffee cup stain on the center console.  You can zoom in and read the entire label on the cockpit fire extinguisher. 

vKeEMIZ.png

You can even read the aircraft's FAA registration and certificate of airworthiness in their holders on the cockpit door.   The paperwork matches the aircraft's N number as well.  Nice attention to detail. 

KWeYLuL.png

rvd6g2T.png

The external model is fantastic as well.  You can make out the grunge around the forward entry door from the rubber boot that seals the fuselage from the gate.  All servicing and warning markings are present. 

WGmVOA9.png

0OlJQqr.png

The sim offers "Live Traffic" so the aircraft passing above me is an actual jet in real time. 

XjyphFa.png

That's it for now.    I'll follow up with the approach and landing into Orlando in a bit.   Thanks for flying along! 

11 minutes ago, MARU5137 said:

Surgeons (a few in the Family) are constantly  assessed and watched when they perform surgery...

And talking of Simulation   guess what?

surgical experience means that more training will need to be undertaken on simulations, although experience and assessment in the operating room must remains the ‘gold-standard’. Simulation training will require the provision of properly resourced surgical skills facilities in every hospital.

AND:

Non-Technical Skills for Surgeons (NOTSS) assesses four categories of these high level skills – situation awareness, decision making, communication and teamwork, and leadership. It provides a framework and common terminology that allows surgeons to communicate effectively with each other in this area of practice and will help trainees to develop these abilities in the workplace. 

I think Its almost like a fighter pilot having situation  awareness, communication,  decision making etc.

:popcorn:

pretty cool!

…and guess where medicine adopted much of this from? Click me

I do remember about 20 years ago when medicine adopted checklists, briefing, debriefing, and CRM from the aviation world..

Business too. Executives pay a lot of money for seminars from former fighter pilots to understand “plan, brief, execute, debrief “ and how to create measurable and quantifiable objectives when defining mission success-

Click me too

cheers

Pete