Robin Koh Chipmunk?

mozart

There's a lot of deserved excitement right now about the imminent issue of the Revell Hurricane and the Kotare Spitfire, but another plane which is on my bucket list is the Chipmunk.  Robin Koh produced a resin kit which looks lovely.  I emailed Robin last week enquiring if it is still available but had no response to date, anybody else any knowledge or thoughts?

YN9uZa.png

GpyapQ.jpg

As far as I'm aware, I have the only production copy that Robin produced before suffering a hand injury that prevented him from making any more. My most recent correspondences with him indicated that he had decided to remaster the kit to fix a few inaccuracies, but was struggling to acquire the necessary materials due to the pandemic. I really don't know where the project stands right now, and I really should pull out the kit I have and build it!

Kev

I have a Tigger “Chipmunk” too, if we’re talking the very basic vacuform offering. In my opinion it’s not very good, I’d rather scratch build one.  These drawings which I’ve recently bought highlight just how much work would be necessary to make something presentable from the Tigger one. 

71Tod5.jpg

S5mesT.jpg

Edited by mozart

1 hour ago, mozart said:

I’d rather scratch build one.  These drawings which I’ve recently bought highlight just how much work would be necessary to make something presentable from the Tigger one. 

71Tod5.jpg

S5mesT.jpg

Hi Max. That’s a WIP I’d be very interested in. 

With so many youngsters enjoying their first air experience flights in a Chipmunk it could be a popular product for a manufacturer. How could we persuade Airfix to bring one out in 1/24th? :hmmm:. Afterall, they’ve done all of the research for their smaller scale offerings. :D

Shall we start a petition? ;)

1 hour ago, geedubelyer said:

Hi Max. That’s a WIP I’d be very interested in. 

With so many youngsters enjoying their first air experience flights in a Chipmunk it could be a popular product for a manufacturer. How could we persuade Airfix to bring one out in 1/24th? :hmmm:. Afterall, they’ve done all of the research for their smaller scale offerings. :D

I've haven't ruled it out completely Guy but by 'eck it would be a challenge!!  As an ex-ATC cadet the Chippie was my first experience of parachutes, stall turns, loops and rolls so yes, it has a special place in my heart.  Not to mention that it was made by de Havilland.  There are a couple at the Old Sarum museum which isn't far from me so gathering detail info isn't too difficult.  I just wish Airfix did 1/32 scale though, 1/24 doesn't do it for me in the slightest.

Edited by mozart