SB Lim-2, Polish Air Force (Polish-built MiG 15UTI)

R Palimaka

I think it is possible: 

1. to cut the tail just over the fairing at the base, under and over the stabs base.

2. to add triangles of plastic in between to correct the chord angles as well as a new top.

3. sand to get a clean result.

Not easy but I think this is easier than the road taken by the guy who made the Grey matter master. All engraved lines could be preserved and both halves would be kept separate. However, when you already have the resin part, I'm not convinced correcting that oneself will be easier than finding a solution to use the aftermarket tail! 

In my case, I will possibly get such triangles out of the MiG-17 tail.

19 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

I think it is possible: 

1. to cut the tail just over the fairing at the base, under and over the stabs base.

2. to add triangles of plastic in between to correct the chord angles as well as a new top.

3. sand to get a clean result.

Not easy but I think this is easier than the road taken by the guy who made the Grey matter master. All engraved lines could be preserved and both halves would be kept separate. However, when you already have the resin part, I'm not convinced correcting that oneself will be easier than finding a solution to use the aftermarket tail! 

In my case, I will possibly get such triangles out of the MiG-17 tail.

Just to follow up, here are some photos of the parts against 1/32 scale drawings (enlarged from the 1/48 scale plans from 4+, and assuming they are correct )

As for the tail, I'm not sure which solution would be easier, using the resin correction tail, or trying to modify the kit tail. Both have their issues. Trying to modify the kit part would require re-aligning the slots and fairings for the horizontal stabilizers, along with making sure everything else aligned in the end. Using the resin part has its issues too, making sure it is secure and square. I think I'll go with the resin correction part, as you said, I have it and it already has the proper shape. 

muqUujth.jpg?1

OJCFnIrh.jpg?1

The wings also have their own mix of issues. The dimensions and shape are very close, but the area around the aileron needs attention. The aileron itself is too long spanwise, and in the wrong position. The panels in front and inboard will have to be enlarged to the correct shape and re-scribed. along with the wingtips. 

I'm also a bit worried that attaching the wing to the wing root may change the angle of sweep on the wing. Have to be careful, and I might have to insert a small wedge at the leading edge of the wing at the root. I guess I'll see when I get there.

4AfglsDh.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka

3 hours ago, R Palimaka said:

The wings also have their own mix of issues. The dimensions and shape are very close, but the area around the aileron needs attention. The aileron itself is too long spanwise, and in the wrong position. The panels in front and inboard will have to be enlarged to the correct shape and re-scribed. along with the wingtips. 

I'm also a bit worried that attaching the wing to the wing root may change the angle of sweep on the wing. Have to be careful, and I might have to insert a small wedge at the leading edge of the wing at the root. I guess I'll see when I get there.

4AfglsDh.jpg

Indeed! The Mig-17 had the same wing aileron issues but also added others (out of my memory: wing chord and root trailing edge shape issues). I cut the offending sections out of the wings to lengthen the aileron parts.

On 11/29/2022 at 6:09 AM, MARU5137 said:

Sir,

Thank you for your reply. Long way indeed to get photos.

:wicked:

Thank you Maru. That being said, I will try to do that. I love to drive and Kitchener/Waterloo is on the way home to where my father and family lives. I admire that they repainted it in Polish Air Force markings earlier this year after Russia invaded Ukraine. Although I like how clean the aircraft looks in the lacquered aluminum finish, I'm not brave enough to try it with this build! It's going to be too much of a Frankenstein with all the cutting and cross-kitting. 

FYyRZ78h.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka

I just made an interesting finding!

Actually the Trumpeter tail is perfectly copying the shapes of the following Japanese plans:

mikoya10.jpg

mikoya11.jpgribete10.jpg

I think I need to assess who is right and who is wrong! 4+ plans may be very questionable for some planes (e.g. the MiG-29 ones are not very accurate). So, before cutting I think it is better to check...:hmmm:

I found that picture that shows a close to perfect profile and I'm afraid I was right: 4+ scale plans are another time... wrong!

aviation-speed-technique-the-mig-15-wall

Enlarge the picture and compare with the kit tail. You will see the kit one is not fully correct but not really worse than the resin one! What a pity!

Wonderful project, I also have one planned, with similar am goodies - I got the KP Models 1/72 kit in my mid-teens, started it, but never completed, so unfinished business, and it has to be as the fantastic box art...

KOP-013-2.jpg?v-cache=1669437546

Eduard produced a 1/72 kit, maybe the profiles in the instructions could prove useful, link

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

I found that picture that shows a close to perfect profile and I'm afraid I was right: 4+ scale plans are another time... wrong!

aviation-speed-technique-the-mig-15-wall

Enlarge the picture and compare with the kit tail. You will see the kit one is not fully correct but not really worse than the resin one! What a pity!

Thank you Thierry! I can see now that perhaps the "corrected" tail is based on the 4+ drawings, and that the kit tail is not so wrong. I still believe the kit tail is too narrow and not right to my eye, but I'll have to think about how to address that one. My plan is to just correct what I can without going too far into the "rabbit hole".

I've been looking online for a build or review that describes all the faults, but haven't found much so far. A lot of threads that state that the kit is a disaster without describing how. I think I'll just follow Meinert's approach and be happy with what I can fix. I'm just hoping that in the end I'll have something that looks like a SB Lim-2, and fool most people. :)

Thank you for your advice so far too, I appreciate your input.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

43 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

Wonderful project, I also have one planned, with similar am goodies - I got the KP Models 1/72 kit in my mid-teens, started it, but never completed, so unfinished business, and it has to be as the fantastic box art...

KOP-013-2.jpg?v-cache=1669437546

Eduard produced a 1/72 kit, maybe the profiles in the instructions could prove useful, link

Funny, but I've had that kit for years too. Don't know why the aircraft appeals to me so much. One of the camouflage schemes I'm looking at matches this one. Thanks for that! I hope you're able to get started on your project too, maybe this one will show you how not to do it! :) A Mig-15UTI Group Build...

Richard

Thanks Richard. Actually I got the same results when I looked after MiG-15 and 17 information as I wrote the Fresco tweak list. I found many bad reviews but close to none of them really gave useful information to identify and correct them! I just found one interesting thread where a guy showed how to add plastic card to get a seamless air intake. Otherwise, the rest was limited to the use of Eduard parts and the Squadron canopy.

Exactly!

I found that one about the intake too. It may be the easiest way to fix the intake and build a new wheel well for the nose gear. That has to be fixed for sure. Too bad about the resin intake splitter. It's solid resin and would be a lot of work to drill out and deepen the gear well. 

Some food for thought even if few things can be seen:

https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/yaks-cross-kitted-mig-15-uti-midget-in-1-32-scale.18918/

An interesting part is what the guy is explaining about the canopy and cockpit length. However, knowing he essentially relied on the 4+ plans, I would be very cautious before copying that!

Hth

Thierry

2 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Some food for thought even if few things can be seen:

https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/yaks-cross-kitted-mig-15-uti-midget-in-1-32-scale.18918/

An interesting part is what the guy is explaining about the canopy and cockpit length. However, knowing he essentially relied on the 4+ plans, I would be very cautious before copying that!

Hth

Thierry

Thank you so much Thierry! That thread will be incredibly useful! Not sure I want to start cutting canopies though...

Some excellent and detailed information in there. I'll have to sit down and see how far I want to go with this. Meindert's conversion looked so much simpler...but, I am stubborn!

Again, thank you!!

Richard