Looks like Trumpeter is re-releasing the F3 and F2a/ F6 Lightning

Ali62

13 hours ago, npb748r said:

I feel sorry for the poor chap trying to sell both F3 and F6 trumpeter kits on ebay for £300 each at the moment !  1 week too late !!!

He's probably praying that potential buyers will not have seen the recent Trumpeter notices. He's (probably) going to be a very disappointed fella...

Chris. 

For my money ?...good ....I hope he has to sell them for pretty much what he paid - or worse , why not actually go and build them and enjoy modelling . 

Not everything in life needs to be a rip off, we've got multinationals and governments for that .

Too many good hobbies have been ruined by people deciding its a route for their "investment" fantasies. Taken from the hands of those who do it for love, and then bought by people to make a quick buck . 

4 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

For my money ?...good ....I hope he has to sell them for pretty much what he paid - or worse , why not actually go and build them and enjoy modelling . 

Not everything in life needs to be a rip off, we've got multinationals and governments for that .

Too many good hobbies have been ruined by people deciding its a route for their "investment" fantasies. Taken from the hands of those who do it for love, and then bought by people to make a quick buck . 

That's a somewhat simplistic approach and you have no proof he bought the kit as 'an investment' as how on earth can anyone reasonably predict future demands and availability of kits? Kits when available are open for sale to anyone who wants them and so if they go OOP years later and then become desirable and demand outweighs supply, then it is inevitable that the seller can, quite reasonably, ask a premium. 'Asking' and 'getting' what they want of course are two entirely different things and I agree with what you say that this specific seller has (just) 'missed the boat' in his timing to sell what was an in demand kit.

After all, would you sell your house for the same sum as you bought it years ago despite it now being in greater demand and could command a (much) higher price than you paid for it and likewise, that old but mint condition E-Type Jag sitting in your garage with low mileage and which still has the 1961 sales invoice amongst the docs for just £2200? Would you let another car driver have it for that same price you paid all those years ago so they can enjoy 'the love of driving' it.....or are those two examples an alternative and more 'acceptable' form of what you cite as "investment fantasies" ....?

Gary

29 minutes ago, Gary Needham said:

That's a somewhat simplistic approach and you have no proof he bought the kit as 'an investment' as how on earth can anyone reasonably predict future demands and availability of kits? Kits when available are open for sale to anyone who wants them and so if they go OOP years later and then become desirable and demand outweighs supply, then it is inevitable that the seller can, quite reasonably, ask a premium. 'Asking' and 'getting' what they want of course are two entirely different things and I agree with what you say that this specific seller has (just) 'missed the boat' in his timing to sell what was an in demand kit.

After all, would you sell your house for the same sum as you bought it years ago despite it now being in greater demand and could command a (much) higher price than you paid for it and likewise, that old but mint condition E-Type Jag sitting in your garage with low mileage and which still has the 1961 sales invoice amongst the docs for just £2200? Would you let another car driver have it for that same price you paid all those years ago so they can enjoy 'the love of driving' it.....or are those two examples an alternative and more 'acceptable' form of what you cite as "investment fantasies" ....?

Gary

Everyone needs a place to live and most people need a car.  Models are purely diversionary except those few professional builders.

I am firmly on the line of having disgust for profiteers.  When we have people getting caught buying up stocks of disinfectant during a pandemic, standing in line for an hour to buy up all the ammo at wal mart to then turn around and sell it at a premium because there is a shortage (caused by the above standing in line), I relish the idea of such people not seeing their fantasies fulfilled.

After all, when I sell my house, it's not a guaranteed gain, is it?  And the bottom recently fell out of the muscle car market.   

Hey guys, I am not a moderator and do not pretend to be one, but I would much prefer to see everyone discussing the models than taking swipes back and forth as to how much people choose to sell items for.

you decide a price, if somebody pays that price or bids up to a price then it is up to them, no one forces anybody, it happens everyday in life

HOWEVER CAN WE KEEP THIS TO LIGHTNINGS

33 minutes ago, Citadelgrad said:

Everyone needs a place to live and most people need a car.  Models are purely diversionary except those few professional builders.

I am firmly on the line of having disgust for profiteers.  When we have people getting caught buying up stocks of disinfectant during a pandemic, standing in line for an hour to buy up all the ammo at wal mart to then turn around and sell it at a premium because there is a shortage (caused by the above standing in line), I relish the idea of such people not seeing their fantasies fulfilled.

After all, when I sell my house, it's not a guaranteed gain, is it?  And the bottom recently fell out of the muscle car market.   

I would just say the price of a model kit is not comparable to buying supplies of disinfectant or ammo.  If i own a model that is worth a lot of money, I will sell it high and for what it is worth as a rule.  Same with my house, and my car.  I will take the highest price someone is willing to pay, and when it comes to a model kit, if someone wants more than I will pay I don:t buy.  

I have bought and sold kits based upon the possibility I will make money on them.  In some cases I bought kits because I knew I could make money, in some cases I bought a kit, built it and made money.  If I make money on the sale of a kit it subsidizes the purchase of usually another kit.  I have of course lost money.  I purchased a great deal on our traders board here recently, and sold a valuable and aftermarket  kit at a loss to help offset the other purchase.  I also sold some very special turned metal parts on another forum that would make you really dislike me as I bought them for a few dollars and sold them for a lot more.  I did buy them though with a mind to using them, but wanted the money.  However it was something special to me at the same time, I had decided not to use the parts my self and I knew they were worth a lot, but it offset my acquisition.  

Alas ebay has really changed the whole calculus for me as periodically I sell stuff just because I need money and with them taking 13% of the gross sale including shipping and sales tax, I am better off selling something on this forum and maybe loosing a little money in some cases than taking a risk on ebay fees.  

Edited by cbk57

7 minutes ago, cbk57 said:

I would just say the price of a model kit is not comparable to buying supplies of disinfectant or ammo.  If i own a model that is worth a lot of money, I will sell it high and for what it is worth as a rule.  Same with my house, and my car.  I will take the highest price someone is willing to pay, and when it comes to a model kit, if someone wants more than I will pay I don:t buy.  

I have bought and sold kits based upon the possibility I will make money on them.  In some cases I bought kits because I knew I could make money, in some cases I bought a kit, built it and made money.  If I make money on the sale of a kit it subsidizes the purchase of usually another kit.  I have of course lost money.  I purchased a great deal on our traders board here recently, and sold a valuable and aftermarket  kit at a loss to help offset the other purchase.  I also sold some very special turned metal parts on another forum that would make you really dislike me as I bought them for a few dollars and sold them for a lot more.  I did buy them though with a mind to using them, but wanted the money.  However it was something special to me at the same time, I had decided not to use the parts my self and I knew they were worth a lot, but it offset my acquisition.  

I would not dislike you.  I am not an anticapitalist at all.   

To all those modellers seemingly annoyed at the concept that a fellow modeller could 'profit' on selling a rare, in demand or high value kit, the next time (you) personally list such a kit from your stash for sale on eBay or anywhere else, please attach a link for the LSP membership inviting us to offer you not a penny/cent more than (you) paid for it all those years ago and thus, negate any profit you would have made throwing it open to free market forces online. I'm sure many on this site will be only too happy to take you up on the largesse extended.

After all, by your reckoning, that would be the correct and 'ethical' thing to do for a fellow modeller wouldn't it.....!

So, kudos to the very first person who puts their ethics above profit and provides said link in the future and to start you all off, I am looking for a 1/32 Fisher Models F-9F Panther kit for the princely sum of £115.00 which was the cost new (and which you would have paid also in £/EURO/$) when I originally bought one all those years ago.... . any takers at that price for 'a fellow modeller' ..?

Gary

13 hours ago, npb748r said:

It will be interesting to see if the aftermarket companies that previously released stuff for the lightning but that are now out of production re-release their stuff. I was thinking decals in particular. 

Some of the Xtradecals sheets were really nice. But we could use some new NMF era ones: especially Saudi F.53/T.55s, and No.19/92 Sqn F.2As for example, plus a reprint of 32-016 with the Firebirds and Treble-One F.6s.

I'm still wondering if the ResKit jet exhaust hourglass shapes fit the corrupted, pinched-in, Trumpeter rear fuselage without major dremeling (like the Aires ones, which are as-if they were really designed to fit the Echelon).

Some new AM in the form of brass legs of the correct length, a drop-in nose ring with greater inside depth to meet the intake assembly, a 4-5mm fuselage plug, less "pregnant" resin belly tanks and correctly shaped F.2A/6 strakes wouldn't be sniffed at either. Iain was working on some of this gear ten years ago, but sadly it never came to fruition.   

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
clarity

5 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

Tony T,

I had know idea that the Aries items were designed for the Echelon kit.  All the offerings do for the vac kit very well.  The Echelon kit was out of production and hard to find when they were released.  

They're not, but the Aires jetpipes set seems to have been designed for accuracy rather than to fit the Trumpeter (something I know from experience) and so allegedly fits into the shell of the Echelon vacform far better.  

What I'm interested in learning is whether the ResKit jetpipes set was designed to fit the Trumpeter fuselage or offers a highly accurate representation of the hourglass, thereby requiring the kit to be dremelled to death.

Tony