1/32 Short Scylla

Archimedes

Surprise, surprise; Currently One Man Model are gearing up to print the Short Scylla in 1/72 and 1/48 but he is posting messages on Britmodeller saying that he is willing to do it in 1/32 as well. Price will be 480 USD in that scale. 

He is selling the 1/72 and 1/48 versions here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/115612833930 and asks that anyone that wants the 1/32 version to message him.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by Archimedes
Typo

'cause it's ugly, has lots of struts and wires and did I mention it's ugly. It's just because I'm ancient that I knew what it was without the photo. Come on guys there must be a more deserving airframe to go to all the trouble with, the Blackburn Blackburn has been criminally ignored by the modelling world for instance. Now there is an ugly aeroplane.

TRF

Actually the guy is making the models HE wants. It looks he has no actual large scale marketing goal. The sales to other modellers are a positive side effect of his hobby. Globally, this is very positive for others as well as this results in the release of oddball topics we would never see otherwise! The Scylla was quite famous as she was the mainstay of Imperial airlines with the HP42/45. She has that Agatha Christie era flavor! Not my cup of tea ;) but nonetheless interesting. However, I'm afraid this one will ask for a TON of work to get a good result in large scale.

14 hours ago, fastterry said:

'cause it's ugly, has lots of struts and wires and did I mention it's ugly. It's just because I'm ancient that I knew what it was without the photo. Come on guys there must be a more deserving airframe to go to all the trouble with, the Blackburn Blackburn has been criminally ignored by the modelling world for instance. Now there is an ugly aeroplane.

TRF

Ugly pffff. The Short Scylla is a rank amateur in the ugly stakes…. The Dyle et Bacalan DB10 hit every branch of the ugly tree as it fell out of the sky…

1nb8Bw.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Lovely choice, but as one who is currently struggling to get the layering out of a 3D-printed resin kit, I'd say the tech still has some way to go before a full kit is acceptable for most.

Not all 3D-printers and resins are created equal.  Some tech does exist that is fully capable of printing very smooth surfaces.  But not all hobbyists or vendors have that tech.  Here are some examples of what comes out of the Formlabs 3D printers we use.  Smooth as a baby's butt.

cyiq7X3.jpg

3hUsqWR.jpg

TYzrOGb.jpg

qBMfZlh.jpg

More to do with size necessitating FDM prints - and volumes necessitating larger layer heights.

With current tech I doubt many would be willing to pay the far higher costs involved in printing the likes of a 1:32 Short Scylla at higher resolutions, or using resin printing.

His business model seems to work for him - and he has many happy customers, me included.

If you go in with a 'far better/easier than a vac' expectation, rather than a poor alternative to an injection moulded kit, then you'll be happy IMHO.

Others' mileage will, of course, vary - but the hobby is, and should be, a broad church IMHO! :)

Iain

• 1 month later...

I don't consider the Scylla to be ugly. I would call it old-fashioned looking (mainly for the struts and wires) and perhaps s little ungainly, but agree with Archimedes that planes like the DB10, whose designer seems to have been an admirer of warthog aesthetics, put most other aircraft designs completely out of the running. I will admit to having called the HP 42 beautiful in spite of its old fashioned wing, tail and motor arrangements.

Having said all that, I do quail at the thought of the sheer labour involved in doing justice to either the Scylla or HP 42 in 1/32 3D printed parts. I'm going to be 70 in a few months and wonder if I would live long enough to complete such a project.