1/32 U.S. fuel fill cap

bobster

Thank you all for responses. The last photo of the red cap is what is needed. As the caps are for a P-38, I went ahead and ordered the p-38 external PE set as suggested, to add to the Eduard landing gear set I am using. Will be here in a few days(weeks?). Would be nice to have these independently though...Bob.

• 3 weeks later...

Just for future reference, the Eduard External PE set does NOT include gas fill caps. The round pieces that could be confused as caps are actually intended to be placed on the tail of the air to ground rockets. As there are no fuel fill caps available, will try to make something from brass using punch and dies. This undoubtedly will be tedious, but is the only acceptable idea I can come up with. A nice after market answer would be nice, and would likely sell as there is no competition at this time. I am sure this issue has been dealt with before, as it would seem to be a frequently encountered problem.. Any other recommendations would be warmly accepted...Bob.

That's a bummer!  I'm also on the lookout for a 1/32 fuel cap representation for my P-47D.  The kit tank only comes with a raised circle and it would be nice to have some detail on it.  That's a good photo example... I guess we can attempt to scratch something up if aftermarket is not available.

• LSP_Kevin changed the title to 1/32 U.S. fuel fill cap

Although I agree photo-etch or resin caps would be far better, one solution is the Hobby Decal stencil markings sheet for the P-51. There are six fuel caps on the sheet, three backed with red, and three with clear background. I believe it's still available in 1/32 and 1/24 scale.

They are dry transfer and take a bit of practice but it's what I used for my 1/24 Mustang. I drilled out the caps on the kit, and replaced them with a plastic disc of the same size, with the decal applied. It worked well enough for me, and looks better than what was there.

Richard

dLr0rcqh.jpg

Don't know if these images help...

2DLYOhgh.jpg

1p0CFjFh.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka

Thanks for your response. That is a very well done 1/24 RCAF Mustang you have there Richard. I went to Hobby Decal Products, and purused their website. They make a 1/32 P-38 transfer, but it appears to only have the surrounding markings, but not a representation of the cap itself. This is unfortunate, as the decal looks nice on your Mustang! Maybe someone involved in the aftermarket will one day come to our rescue. Happy modeling to all...Bob.

Thank you for the kind words! It was an ordeal but I had fun.

That's unfortunate! I looked for their P-51 stencils in 1/32, which have the caps, but unfortunately even Hobby Decal Products are out of stock. I found the 1/24 scale version in stock with Sprue Brothers, but of course, wrong scale for you. 

Yes, lets hope that one of the aftermarket companies is listening...

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

• 2 weeks later...

One possible option for the red fuel cap type posted above... Tamiya includes these caps as separate pieces on their P-51 kits.  I have the P-51D/K (Pacific Theater) kit and I count four of these caps on Sprues AA and T.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your response, Damian. I have numerous rivet decal sheets of yours, and they are very nice indeed! Also followed your Wildcat build, and will be using your Dzus fasteners on my P-38G conversion as you did on engine covers. I would be overjoyed to have a 3d resin decal of fuel cap from you. I would think would sell well. Let me know if you can help. Thanks...Bob.