Spitfire mk IX exhaust stub question

Hello folk,

With the recent release of Airfix’s latest 1/24th scale Spitfire mkIX I’ve been watching some in box review videos and one of the hot topics is the exhaust stubs. 

Airfix have attached the stubs to the sprue in an awkward spot apparently. This may take some tricky clean up but it got me thinking. 

Tamiya offer two different styles of exhaust stub in their mkIX offering. The same ones as Airfix and circular, tubular openings. Is there some way of telling which airframes had which style?

It might be that the round versions could be reasonably easy to replace the kit parts with?

Ideas anyone?

Cheers

• LSP_K2 changed the title to Spitfire mk IX exhaust stub question
  • 2 weeks later...

The Buchon round exhausts set is what you need; comes with a new exhaust shroud that looks like a perfect part to splice into the Airfix cowling frames. Contact resin p51 exhausts also look like they might fit.....if you can find any. 

Afraid I can't help with a definitive explanation for which type is appropriate to particular aircraft though. My builds are almost all currently flying Aircraft, so I tend to seek out photos. It is an interesting question, however...

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

Thanks for the heads-up Cap. 

The Buchon exhaust pipes look superb. It doesn't look like to would take too much to get them to fit:hmmm:

That's certainly added another option to the mix. :thumbsup:

Are REXx still in business? Their galvanically grown exhausts are an amazing product. I haven't ever seen and 1/24th scale options except those for the Airfix Mosquito. 

Edited by geedubelyer

I'd say they're still in business; their exhausts can be found on ebay, but I think the Mosquito 1\24 sets were a limited run ( I got some; they are excellent!) - if there is enough interest I hope they might do both Spitfire types. But at the moment the superb Buchon exhausts are the only game in town! 

I hope Eduard will do some parts shortly....ohh, imagine a 1\24 Eduard Merlin engine!!! 

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo